• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER

Winter Weather/Extreme Cold Threat 1/13-1/17

sak

Reaction score
Freezing line is essentially 20/59 at the moment per tempest station maps

Will have to hope for more development over S MS at this point. I’m sure it will be slick tomorrow AM in Bham metro, but we’re going to need some more development soon.
yeah i don’t honestly think this will be that big of a deal in my area on the SE side of birmingham. if we get 0.1” of rain (which from radar returns would be ambitious at this point), the roads will be mostly dry tomorrow. a slick spot here or there, yeah, probably… but all roads a sheet of ice? doubt it.

AL_ham_op

Reaction score
yeah i don’t honestly think this will be that big of a deal in my area on the SE side of birmingham. if we get 0.1” of rain (which from radar returns would be ambitious at this point), the roads will be mostly dry tomorrow. a slick spot here or there, yeah, probably… but all roads a sheet of ice? doubt it.
Agree. I'm still showing 38 out towards Moody. I see no way it gets wet enough or cold enough here.

Jacob

Reaction score
Agree. I'm still showing 38 out towards Moody. I see no way it gets wet enough or cold enough here.

It’s 31 off Whites Chapel Rd, and 33/34 in Moody just north of 411. And it’s pushing SE.

It’s also 32 in Branchville and 32 in Leeds

Blountwolf

Sustaining Member
PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
10pm. Brief round of freezing drizzle, then sleet, now sleet/snow mix. Deck iced then white with sleet on top already, rock patio starting to ice. West Blount county, AL.

Blountwolf

Sustaining Member
PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
Pleasantly surprised - a decent amount of snow is mixing in with my sleet.

Blountwolf

Sustaining Member
PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score

The Colonel

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Zr has moved in and temp has plummeted to 26° in short order

LintLicker919

Reaction score
It is sleeting or icing…something noisy in Pell City right now. I walked outside and was shocked how quickly the temp had dropped

Equus

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Down to 20° here with rounds of heavy sleet all evening after some light freezing rain earlier; about the heaviest and most persistent sleet I remember

23504_f2df06c6e45d4d0d9cea55a6bf950c70.jpg
Screenshot_20240115_230110.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240115_225848.jpg
    Screenshot_20240115_225848.jpg
    254.9 KB · Views: 0

MikeP

Reaction score
Sitting at 30 and just had a nice freezing rain torrent. Maybe just a little snow/graupel mixed in. Deck is already iced over. That was quick. Wonder if that warm nose is eroding any....

brianc33710

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
I would've cheered on snow but given the depth of this cold maybe freezing rain & sleet is OK this time. 8F in Bham is bad enough. Parts of NW AL with all the snow could see -5F, which probably hasn't happened since the 90s if not the 80s. I don't want anything under 5F & not far north of here will probably see it.

Blountwolf

Sustaining Member
PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
I would've cheered on snow but given the depth of this cold maybe freezing rain & sleet is OK this time. 8F in Bham is bad enough. Parts of NW AL with all the snow could see -5F, which probably hasn't happened since the 90s if not the 80s. I don't want anything under 5F & not far north of here will probably see it.
Truth - it's currently 9 in Holly Springs, MS where there is the heaviest snow cover.

Back