• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
  • April 2024 Weather Video of the Month
    Post your nominations now!
Logo 468x120

Winter Weather/Extreme Cold Threat 1/13-1/17

wx_guy

Reaction score
HAM Callsign
KO4ZGH
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
  2. ARRL Member
Observed sounding from BMX last hour pretty much dashes any hopes of snow. While it's dropping into the 30s at the surface, it's still 47-48 degrees higher up.

1705367198880.png

This is shown to a much more extreme level at Jackson, MS, where it's 25 at the surface but about 20 degrees warmer just higher up. So rain falls and freezes.

1705367321312.png

MoonBaby

Knew It Would Happen
Reaction score
I’m in Tuscaloosa county and it’s doing something outside. Sounds like sprinkles? Our streetlights suck. Either way something precipitation wise is happening. According to my phone the temp is 33

MichelleH

Reaction score
Just had a pretty decent burst of mixed precip. It seemed to be mostly sleet with freezing rain mixed in. We've got layers of ice on vehicles and the front porch. The road in front of the house is just wet at the moment, but the driveway is starting to form ice.

We had sleet too. First time today it's sleeted here. Everything else has been frozen rain.

UncleJuJu98

100,000th Post
Reaction score
Thankfully the RAP and HRRR totals have come down. But they're both not handling initializing well, not sure what impact that'll have but, either way it'll be slick I imagine for a lot of areas

Blizzard1

Reaction score
I’m in Tuscaloosa county and it’s doing something outside. Sounds like sprinkles? Our streetlights suck. Either way something precipitation wise is happening. According to my phone the temp is 33
The obs from the NWS called it flurries at the time. I found that interesting.

UncleJuJu98

100,000th Post
Reaction score
Man the HRRR is doing a very bad job at telling what's currently going on. Precip is a lot heavier in the now cast

UncleJuJu98

100,000th Post
Reaction score
Drizzling at my house. My wife's car is wet not frozen though so it's still got a little bit to go.

32 at my parents house in pinson. And 30 here

Chris3024

Reaction score

UncleJuJu98

100,000th Post
Reaction score
Down to 29 here with light sprinkles. If we get in the heavier precip it won’t take long to ice over. Hearing reports of icing as close as the Corner and Sumiton areas now.
Yeah those showers are pretty heavy just northwest of here that'll be filling in here. If that sits over one area for 6 hours even remotely the same intensity it'll be some difficult travelling

Back