• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
  • April 2024 Weather Video of the Month
    Post your nominations now!

Winter Weather/Extreme Cold Threat 1/13-1/17

MoonBaby

Knew It Would Happen
Reaction score
Taking the old man chihuahua out to force him to potty against his will because he hates the cold. Temp on phone says 31. Still hear stuff falling. Have absolutely no idea what type of precip though.
I’m wearing a jacket and a blanket because I too hate cold.

Blountwolf

PerryW Project Supporter
Sustaining Member
Reaction score
The HRRR is drastically underdoing intensity
I wonder if the difference is just that you're seeing the sleet returns in the live. The simulated won't bright band like that, maybe? Actually that's a question for someone more in the weeds of operational meteorology than me. Anyone?

Blountwolf

PerryW Project Supporter
Sustaining Member
Reaction score
I should stress my neighborhood has one crappy streetlight and it’s not close enough to decipher what I’m hearing. Could be ice. Could be large spiders. No clue. Oh yeah I’m just north of Northport in Tuscaloosa county for frame of reference.
Likely light rain - that will soon freeze, because most of Tuscaloosa county is below freezing now.

UncleJuJu98

100,000th Post
Reaction score
Stay safe everyone. Im up bright and early to see what mess there is if there is one. My work is still requiring me to coming in so I imagine they'll call or text early telling everybody to not come in if the roads are awful

Richardjacks

Meteorologist
Reaction score
I wonder if the difference is just that you're seeing the sleet returns in the live. The simulated won't bright band like that, maybe? Actually that's a question for someone more in the weeds of operational meteorology than me. Anyone?
Looking at bmx radar, the bright band is 5600 feet up, which is above above freezing my guess is its actually melting snow causing the brighter band

TH2002

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Just gonna temporarily take up residence in this thread wishing I had some snow to go around... instead, we have boring clear skies with high temps in the mid 60s to low 70s - that I can't take advantage of because my work hours are in the morning when it's colder. Crossing my fingers for late this week/early next week though...

"My favorite part of winter is watching it on TalkWeather from a place that got a foot of snow last winter, but none so far this winter :("

Blountwolf

PerryW Project Supporter
Sustaining Member
Reaction score
8pm. Absolutely miserable setup.

1705371234594.png

Chris3024

Reaction score
Just gonna temporarily take up residence in this thread wishing I had some snow to go around... instead, we have boring clear skies with high temps in the mid 60s to low 70s - that I can't take advantage of because my work hours are in the morning when it's colder. Crossing my fingers for late this week/early next week though...

"My favorite part of winter is watching it on TalkWeather from a place that got a foot of snow last winter, but none so far this winter :("
I would take that over the ice we are currently receiving

TH2002

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
I would take that over the ice we are currently receiving
Understandable. We certainly don't have much experience with ice storms over here either. Our town can handle a couple inches of the white stuff no problem, but last year's winter storm was flat out excessive.

But to think that if we did get a significant ice storm - since the nearby Cajon Pass handles snow as badly as it does, how would it handle an ice storm? Base to Caltrans, gonna need major cleanup on I-15, 1,000 vehicle pileup and every single car exploded.

Blountwolf

PerryW Project Supporter
Sustaining Member
Reaction score
OK, 540 line - the line of yucky precip is about 10 miles from my house. Time to come in the back door and change this all over to snow. No? Really? Dang. OK.

MikeP

Reaction score

Hey, welcome. I'm headed your way at the end of March lol. Now back to scheduled programming....

Last edited:

The Colonel

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Freezing line is essentially 20/59 at the moment per tempest station maps

Will have to hope for more development over S MS at this point. I’m sure it will be slick tomorrow AM in Bham metro, but we’re going to need some more development soon.

Back