• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER

Winter Weather/Extreme Cold Threat 1/13-1/17

Reaction score
Smoke Rise, AL (25 mi. N of downtown Birmingham)
That sharp cutoff for accumulations reminds me so much of the February 2015 storm. We had 6-8 inches in my immediate area of SW Blount County, AL. It was weird driving south and seeing the snow depth plummet quickly, even coming out of my neighborhood. It was down to 2-3 inches at Exit 284, just a mile south of where I live. I think Birmingham (25 miles south) got zip.

Blountwolf

Sustaining Member
PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
That sharp cutoff for accumulations reminds me so much of the February 2015 storm. We had 6-8 inches in my immediate area of SW Blount County, AL. It was weird driving south and seeing the snow depth plummet quickly, even coming out of my neighborhood. It was down to 2-3 inches at Exit 284, just a mile south of where I live. I think Birmingham (25 miles south) got zip.
I'm hoping we are the dividing line again. We often are - I think it's the mountain.

warneagle

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
We’re supposed to get 1.2” Monday night into Tuesday which would triple our total snowfall for last winter.

KoD

Staff member
Sustaining Member
PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
I like the looks of this one! Lots of cold air to work with

Blountwolf

Sustaining Member
PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score

Gail

Reaction score
I’m debating on buying a generator today. We’ve lost power twice in the 23 years we’ve lived in our home - during Katrina and during the tornado that hit town. Both were restored within 24 hours since we live steps from main resources (school, post office, gas station, Marshalls office, water company, power company, fire department, etc…). Part of me is like “it’s not worth it” and another part is “my kiddo will be freezing if we lose power for any amount of time”. :/

Blountwolf

Sustaining Member
PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
ECMWF looking similar to GFS - crushes NW MS south of Memphis.
1705165767034.png

As always, it's going to be a case of where the band sets up. Lots of potential for for mischief with this system - we're likely not to know the exact placement until the event happens, but as of the models right now, NW MS is the bullseye.

Blountwolf

Sustaining Member
PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
The UK model dashes the dreams of all the snow lovers in Alabama and crushes TN.
1705167123988.png

Not that I expect the UK to verify, but all this spread to illustrate that it will all depend on where the snow band sets up, where the rain/zr/snow line sets up, and how well the models handled the shallow cold air mass (IMHO, they usually don't handle it well).

Clancy

Reaction score
I’m debating on buying a generator today. We’ve lost power twice in the 23 years we’ve lived in our home - during Katrina and during the tornado that hit town. Both were restored within 24 hours since we live steps from main resources (school, post office, gas station, Marshalls office, water company, power company, fire department, etc…). Part of me is like “it’s not worth it” and another part is “my kiddo will be freezing if we lose power for any amount of time”. :/
Grab some of those "hot hands" hand warmers or whatever they're called! They might seem silly but when my father was stuck in the snow years ago, having a few of those things in his truck probably saved his fingers from frostbite. They aren't a campfire, but they can really keep your hands warm, and you can always stick them in your hoodie or your pants pockets.

Back