• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
  • April 2024 Weather Video of the Month
    Post your nominations now!
Logo 468x120

Winter Weather/Extreme Cold Threat 1/13-1/17

Gail

Reaction score
Grab some of those "hot hands" hand warmers or whatever they're called! They might seem silly but when my father was stuck in the snow years ago, having a few of those things in his truck probably saved his fingers from frostbite. They aren't a campfire, but they can really keep your hands warm, and you can always stick them in your hoodie or your pants pockets.
Good suggestion. I forgot about those. Thanks!!

UncleJuJu98

100,000th Post
Reaction score
Euro has that cutoff of big snow totals less than 50 miles from me... Say it's not so... Lol (big snow totals to me is 2-3 inches lol)

Red dot is me. Screenshot_2024-01-13-14-29-28-82_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

Uncle Nasty

Reaction score
There's too many damn models to choose from. I was on another forum earlier, and people were arguing about which model was the best. The model that showed the most snow for their area was the best. [emoji108]

With that said, models are just tools used for guidance. We'll either get very little or get a great southern snow. Models are just an educated guess. Let's see what old Mama Nature has in store for us regarding a blanket of white on the ground for everyone.

Good luck everyone!

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk

UncleJuJu98

100,000th Post
Reaction score
Cant help to notice but mesoscale models are showing some moisture forming after the 1st batch for north Alabama. Wonder how that'll work out. NWS bham notes that too.

Seems as if a secondary low pressure organizes near the gulf after the 1st one moves through

UncleJuJu98

100,000th Post
Reaction score
The HRRR is bullish on precip for central Alabama. The secondary push of moisture looks to be legit.... That's rather worrying..

This is the long range HRRR though so be careful for taking it as gospel.

Reaction score
The wind chill is approaching 25 degrees below zero where I am at near Wichita. I have thie curiosity in me what a wind chill of 55 below zero feels like. The coldest I ever felt was a temperature of 22 below zero and a wind chill of 43 degrees below zero back in 1989 when I was a kid. I remember putting my lexposed eg out the door to feel the 43 degree below zero wind chill and it felt like my skin was being stung by wasps.

UncleJuJu98

100,000th Post
Reaction score
Curious to see how much moisture will come from this secondary push lol. I'm not much experienced in winter weather stuff , so if anybody knows anything chime in.

00z Nam on board too. Looks like a good consensus ... Yuck

Last edited:

Blountwolf

PerryW Project Supporter
Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Curious to see how much moisture will come from this secondary push lol. I'm not much experienced in winter weather stuff , so if anybody knows anything chime in.

00z Nam on board too. Looks like a good consensus ... Yuck

I really, really hope the 18ZNAM was wrong on the 540 line. That secondary push of moisture like that to the south into a shallow cold air mass at the surface is not our friend. Do not want.
1705204737995.png
1705204802863.png
1705204630482.png

Last edited:

StormStalker

Staff member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Even HUN has added some sleet/freezing rain to my forecast up here. Could cut down snow totals but hoping we stay all snow.

Blountwolf

PerryW Project Supporter
Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Ugh, 0Z NAM trend is not our friend. Nasty bad stuff.
1705207776192.png

WesL

"Bill, I'm talkin' imminent rueage"
Administrator
Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
My chains come in today! Let's hope that ice stays away.

You know I was a little curious about that as well.... HRRR 48h @10:00 (central) 1/14 to 18:00 (central)
That ice continues to move across MS and AL...

Back