• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER

Winter Weather/Extreme Cold Threat 1/13-1/17

The Colonel

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Solid banding moving up 59 - looks like overnight is shaping up to be summiton / warrior / Oneonta and south for a few hours. Interested if we start to get some flakes.

Half sleet in the highest return so far

Blountwolf

Sustaining Member
PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
Well, so far so good here - it has basically all been sleet. I judge freezing rain by the nearby bamboo, and based on the lean, there hasn't been much in the way of weighty freezing rain, it's all been sleet that has bounced around and made everything white. Having watched the radar all day, I'd like to personally thank the fine people of Cullman County for taking this one on the chin. It's already down to 24 here in West Blount. I hope we can get a dusting of snow on top of this. Some bands to the west showing up on Columbus radar are giving me some hope. But I expect sleet and then brutal cold is what we get out of this one where I'm at.

Pleased to see so few power outages on the board as well. Unless something else happens, definitely not a power crippling ice storm north of Birmingham. Slippery mess for sure, but that we can deal with.

The Colonel

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Snow returns now....
My dude you are getting returns from a radar exponentially father away than BMX, which is closer to you location. Its going to show up as snow at that beam height

brianc33710

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
My dude you are getting returns from a radar exponentially father away than BMX, which is closer to you location. Its going to show up as snow at that beam height
The Tuscaloosa EDIT AMOS reported flurries at 8 pm.

Last edited:

The Colonel

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
he’s not wrong, just saying use the closer radar IMG_7884.jpeg

brianc33710

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
OK.....BMX says they've had no snow reports called in.....mostly freezing rain & a few sleet pellets mixed in close to the Bham metro. Further north there was sleet, but even Haleyville was mostly sleet, not snow. In Bluff Park it's just freezing rain. The Bessemer AMOS station says snow but the warm nose aloft shouldn't allow that. So if you have photos proving otherwise please let them know.

UncleJuJu98

100,000th Post
Reaction score
My driveway is covered In a glaze of ice and my street. I can't get out of my neighborhood

Last edited:

MichelleH

Reaction score
Well, so far so good here - it has basically all been sleet. I judge freezing rain by the nearby bamboo, and based on the lean, there hasn't been much in the way of weighty freezing rain, it's all been sleet that has bounced around and made everything white. Having watched the radar all day, I'd like to personally thank the fine people of Cullman County for taking this one on the chin. It's already down to 24 here in West Blount. I hope we can get a dusting of snow on top of this. Some bands to the west showing up on Columbus radar are giving me some hope. But I expect sleet and then brutal cold is what we get out of this one where I'm at.

Pleased to see so few power outages on the board as well. Unless something else happens, definitely not a power crippling ice storm north of Birmingham. Slippery mess for sure, but that we can deal with.

You're welcome. Lol

warneagle

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Philadelphia and NYC have both broken 700+ day streaks without an inch of snow.

I think we’ve got about four inches here but I don’t have a reliable way to measure. I’ll just go by what DCA says, it’s basically across the street.

MichelleH

Reaction score
All exposed areas covered in ice and sleet. Very slick. All the roads are white from some sleet and a little bit of snow with ice underneath

Same here. We did see a little bit of snow mixed with the sleet last night, but that's the most sleet I've ever seen fall in my life. I don't see any roads in the county being passable.

UncleJuJu98

100,000th Post
Reaction score
Same here. We did see a little bit of snow mixed with the sleet last night, but that's the most sleet I've ever seen fall in my life. I don't see any roads in the county being passable.
They finally canceled my work day. After the plethora of wrecks this morning.

I heard the freezing rain and sleet hitting my window for most of the night.

UncleJuJu98

100,000th Post
Reaction score
It's pouring snow at my house right now!!!!!!!

Oh my gosh the yard is turning white! It's not just ice anymore. Shows nothing on radar but it's coming down.

Anybody in Blount county seeing this too? Or northeast Jefferson county??

**Slowed down a little but that was awesome!

MichelleH

Reaction score
It's pouring snow at my house right now!!!!!!!

Oh my gosh the yard is turning white! It's not just ice anymore. Shows nothing on radar but it's coming down.

Anybody in Blount county seeing this too? Or northeast Jefferson county??

**Slowed down a little but that was awesome!

Yep! We just had a snow shower too.

Logo 468x120
Back