• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
  • April 2024 Weather Video of the Month
    Post your nominations now!

Svr Wx Event - April 15-17, 2024

andyhb

Meteorologist
Reaction score
Good thought, something to keep in mind along with trough timing.

Another possible factor are LCL heights, the Canadian wants to put temps into the low-mid 80s in the warm sector edging right on that 15-20 TD difference. Seems to be the only model doing that right now.
The Canadian is not to be taken seriously with anything to do with the boundary layer, just FYI. It always does this and it always ends up being wrong.

aujerm

Reaction score
If there were to be capping issues, we wouldn't be able to see it until the day before or day of the event. Waiting for the 12z GEFS to finish up. Taking forever. LOL!
The D5 discussion mentions an "extensive elevated mixed layer". Assuming this means there will be a widespread cap in place?

TheSuckZone

Reaction score
A lot of folks drawing comparisons to 4/14/12 (for fair reason); important to note just how intense the parameters were for that day. STPs >10, SCP >50 and bonkers shear.
View attachment 25335View attachment 25336View attachment 25337

Remember that day well. Think we might have had a D2 High in place, my mind is slipping though. I know there was #45 for tornadoes too and it may have been #60. Got a rainwrapped tornado that day but couldn't hardly see anything.

Reaction score
Remember that day well. Think we might have had a D2 High in place, my mind is slipping though. I know there was #45 for tornadoes too and it may have been #60. Got a rainwrapped tornado that day but couldn't hardly see anything.
I do remember that the watch probs were the highest probabilities between 4/27 and that one in May 2019

Reaction score
I just want to clarify. I'm not clamoring for this for the sake of people potentially impacted. I just want a good chase day.
I know what you mean, I feel like there’s a pretty starved chasing community this season so far haha.

One of these set ups this year will verify. I haven’t looked at any of the latest runs to comment on trends but synoptically speaking, this one has looked the best so far this year. SPC is on board as well. The models sometimes tend to do the-wobble as it gets closer to the date and then reverts.

Reaction score
Echoes of 5/20/2019

Different failure mode there; that was an unexpected (or overlooked by pretty much the entire weather enterprise as an outbreak-killing fly in the ointment) warm nose (cap) at 700mb that suppressed updrafts in the open warm sector. And of course, it's way too early to call next Monday one way or the other.

Reaction score
Different failure mode there; that was an unexpected (or overlooked by pretty much the entire weather enterprise as an outbreak-killing fly in the ointment) warm nose (cap) at 700mb that suppressed updrafts in the open warm sector. And of course, it's way too early to call next Monday one way or the other.
Oh not trying to call it by any means.

I probably should have clarified further: the outflow/crapvection cold pool in central-north Oklahoma that the cells that did manage to fire off kept running straight into and dying out. 5/20/2019 also had a shallow moist layer in spots. Very weak LLRs also played a role (as you mentioned on the warm nose at 700mb), Trey has a great video on it.

andyhb

Meteorologist
Reaction score
5/20/2019 had a shallow moist layer because there were so many clouds (and so much smoke) in the warm sector that there was a lack of solar insolation and therefore vertical mixing in the boundary layer.

It was also done in by morning convection especially on the north end, which this event probably will not have much trouble with given the ridging in place prior to the trough's approach on Monday. Whether the convective evolution on Monday afternoon will cause problems with the setup is anyone's guess, but the mesoscale failure modes here are a bit different than that day (potentially iffy timing of the trough on the synoptic scale aside).

Reaction score
5/20/2019 had a shallow moist layer because there were so many clouds (and so much smoke) in the warm sector that there was a lack of solar insolation and therefore vertical mixing in the boundary layer.

It was also done in by morning convection, which this event probably will not have much trouble with given the ridging in place prior to the trough's approach on Monday. Whether the convective evolution on Monday afternoon will cause problems with the setup is anyone's guess, but the mesoscale failure modes here are a bit different than that day (potentially iffy timing of the trough on the synoptic scale aside).
Always forget about the wildfire factor that day. Excellent points.

andyhb

Meteorologist
Reaction score
Also I do not tend to think that Monday's event will be reliant on open warm sector initiation to be a bigger event, which is a large part of why 5/20/2019 underperformed.

Timhsv

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Also I do not tend to think that Monday's event will be reliant on open warm sector initiation to be a bigger event, which is a large part of why 5/20/2019 underperformed.
Andy:
Since you do have the advanced credentials and knowledge. Why does the atmosphere or pattern even seem subdued somewhat so far this year on the severe weather aspect? Seems so much underperformance besides one event so far?

Back