• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER

Severe WX Severe Weather Threat - June 23rd-27th, 2023

TH2002

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
A random isolated kidney bean decided to fire up east of Evansville
E49FAC39-5998-411A-BC1B-294021A2A412.png

edit: The bean has evolved into a cluster of blobs, though admittedly still curious to see if it does anything

Last edited:

JPWX

Reaction score
What a strange day this has been. A high ceiling with a rather violent start consisting of a tornado in the Indianapolis area and a march of supercells across the state, only for things to completely nosedive afterwards. But at this point, I wouldn't be shocked if we get one final surprise rogue storm to spin up a brief but strong tornado somewhere in North Mississippi - you know, 'cuz June 2023...
If there is one, it'll be close to me. Apparently, 2023 has been my year for close calls with 3 tornadoes occurring less than 10 miles from my house.

Argus

Reaction score
Does anyone know how strong the Cape values were over Georgia? The echo tops were somewhat unusually low (over my area) for a severe wx producing MCS.

Sawmaster

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Georgia looked serious there for awhile, and some of it escaped to me and cooled the sweltering day down :)

Taylor Campbell

PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
HRRR shows a nasty updraft helicity streak later from 10-11 around Horse Cave, KY.

andyhb

Meteorologist
Reaction score
Possible fatality from the Alfordsville/French Lick IN (Martin County) tornado earlier, not sure on further information.

1687740974915.png

Last edited:
Reaction score
Greenwood IN tornado also may have been fatal per a met from NWS Indianapolis.

Based on video I've seen of that, it was rather brief but its peak intensity unfortunately appeared to coincide with its passage over a residential area (apartment complex, or several?). There was a dramatic acceleration of the rotation and tremendous burst of debris. Looked like Pampa, or Andover '22 for just a few seconds.

JBishopwx

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
What a strange day this has been. A high ceiling with a rather violent start consisting of a tornado in the Indianapolis area and a march of supercells across the state, only for things to completely nosedive afterwards. But at this point, I wouldn't be shocked if we get one final surprise rogue storm to spin up a brief but strong tornado somewhere in North Mississippi - you know, 'cuz June 2023...
TOR Warn for Mashall County in MS. Off course, Memphis radar is down.

MichelleH

Reaction score
Based on video I've seen of that, it was rather brief but its peak intensity unfortunately appeared to coincide with its passage over a residential area (apartment complex, or several?). There was a dramatic acceleration of the rotation and tremendous burst of debris. Looked like Pampa, or Andover '22 for just a few seconds.

I know one of the places it hit was a neighborhood with large homes - that's where my friend lives. I hope the fatality wasn't one of his neighbors. :(

andyhb

Meteorologist
Reaction score
Fatality in Martin Co. IN near Shoals is confirmed from the tornado between Alfordsville and French Lick earlier.

Taylor Campbell

PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Trying east of Masonville and another west of Elizabethtown.

andyhb

Meteorologist
Reaction score
And I don't want to get into this now, but that tornado in Martin County IN, despite having a very intense couplet from multiple radars, a large TDS, and a reflectivity debris ball evident for multiple scans, never had a confirmed tornado/TORR from NWS IND or LMK.

I suppose it should be sufficient that it was warned in the first place, but that is not a signature that should be without a confirmed warning. Frankly, it should've been a PDS warning.

Back