• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
  • April 2024 Weather Video of the Month
    Post your nominations now!

Severe WX Severe Weather Threat - June 23rd-27th, 2023

TH2002

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Is anyone else surprised at the lack of activity at this time?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Definitely bizarre how this setup dropped a significant drillbit in the Indianapolis area before anyone expected tornadoes to form, and subsequently hit a brick wall afterwards.

Although, all of the cells moving into KY are hooking again. Especially worried about the isolated one crossing into far northern KY, and will probably see more tornadoes if the environment is conducive.

Reaction score
Definitely bizarre how this setup dropped a significant drillbit in the Indianapolis area before anyone expected tornadoes to form, and subsequently hit a brick wall afterwards.

Although, all of the cells moving into KY are hooking again. Especially worried about the isolated one crossing into far northern KY, and will probably see more tornadoes if the environment is conducive.
The isolated one is just about following a path where the HRRR painted a purple UH swath earlier.

ColdFront

Reaction score

Moisture quality/cap maybe?

All the cells in WKY died as well.

andyhb

Meteorologist
Reaction score
Earlier convection stabilized the low levels, moisture is likely shallow and therefore capping increased further south/east.

andyhb

Meteorologist
Reaction score
So it’s time to throw in the towel for Ohio. How about Kentucky?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I could see the cells near Louisville trying again but they're facing an uphill battle against capping and outflow.

TH2002

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
There's still no warning for the damaging tornado in the Detroit metro?!
To be completely honest I have my doubts that's a genuine debris signature. It seems to be more lined up with the area of lower precip on reflectivity than anything else.

TH2002

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
I don't agree. The CC drop lines up with a velocity couplet that moved through Hazel Park, which was much more apparent on TDTW.
View attachment 20914
View attachment 20915
TDTW has been acting wonky for me and I can't get it to display anything, but after looking at my own screenshots from DTX I think you're right. Definitely deepened and moved clear NE for three or four scans.

Argus

Reaction score
I am glad that we made it through the MCS okay (as usual, the worst weather we get here). Fortunate that we weren't as unstable as we could have been or it could have been worse.

TH2002

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
What a strange day this has been. A high ceiling with a rather violent start consisting of a tornado in the Indianapolis area and a march of supercells across the state, only for things to completely nosedive afterwards. But at this point, I wouldn't be shocked if we get one final surprise rogue storm to spin up a brief but strong tornado somewhere in North Mississippi - you know, 'cuz June 2023...

andyhb

Meteorologist
Reaction score
Still haven't heard much from that significant tornado between Alfordsville and French Lick IN from earlier, there are a number of rural farms and residences around that area. Given the height of the TDS and the strength of the meso, I wouldn't be surprised if that tornado was EF3+.

Logo 468x120
Back