• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
  • April 2024 Weather Video of the Month
    Post your nominations now!

Archive March 18-20th, 2018 Severe Weather

Mike S

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Madison County schools dismissing at 12:30 Monday

jmills

Reaction score
Amateur question: on a scale of 0-11 this is an 11 on significant tornado parameters for Huntsville tomorrow?
Also is 0.15 a sample value or is anything over that considered significant?

The decimals are probabilities of strong/violent tornadoes based off of the various parameters. As for STP, 2-3 is significant, 11 is insane.

andyhb

Meteorologist
Reaction score
Figured I'd emerge from the woodwork and comment on this since it is a pretty high-ceiling potential.

There are a number of things working for this event especially in terms of having a sustained discrete mode. Should we see the degree of low level instability and shear that models are indicating, there is certainly the potential for a significant event with long-tracked strong/violent tornadoes possible. Large hail also seems like basically a given with the very cold temperatures aloft and strong deep layer shear.

This is one to prepare for, folks. GA may very well have problems after dark too, I don't see this being an AL/GA border and done type deal. Resiliency of the wedge front to WAA will determine spatial extent.

Reaction score
I'm pretty conservative after a pattern of bust after bust, and like Rolltide said, this could end up trending down like 4/5/17 did, or just not be as bad as models are suggesting right now.

That being said, I've been closely following severe weather since November 2014, and this might be one of the nastiest looking setups for Dixie I've seen yet...I'm genuinely concerned about this one.

rolltide_130

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
I'm pretty conservative after a pattern of bust after bust, and like Rolltide said, this could end up trending down like 4/5/17 did, or just not be as bad as models are suggesting right now.

That being said, I've been closely following severe weather since November 2014, and this might be one of the nastiest looking setups for Dixie I've seen yet...I'm genuinely concerned about this one.

It could trend down, but it won't do so in the manner 4/5/17 did. That one was a high ceiling but extremely uncertain event. The uncertainties that plagued that one aren't here with this one..

Helicity

Reaction score
Anyone else having issues accessing alabamawx? Saw that Spann posted an update to his blog on the site but I could not reach it, and he's since deleted the twitter post. I know many folks in Alabama receive their weather news/updates online these days, so hopefully any technical issues can be ironed out before tomorrow.

EDIT: Looks like it's back up now.

Last edited:

Richardjacks

Meteorologist
Reaction score
This too has increased.
SREF_prob_sigtor_5__f033.gif

HeHateMe

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I’ve followed this forum for a while but never posted. I live in Cave Spring GA, so obviously 4/27/11 is fresh in my memory. I read that schools in N Central AL are planning on closing at 12 but not here. I have 2 girls, 5 and 2; should I be thinking about pulling them out of school early?

X

Xenesthis

People this is not for 4/27/11! I don’t think it’s necessary for you to be pulling your kids out of school. Yes this is a serious event however this is not a generational event. Just stay aware to the warnings

Derek00

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I’ve followed this forum for a while but never posted. I live in Cave Spring GA, so obviously 4/27/11 is fresh in my memory. I read that schools in N Central AL are planning on closing at 12 but not here. I have 2 girls, 5 and 2; should I be thinking about pulling them out of school early?
Judging from the timing of the event that I've seen, I would think they would be okay. I live in Chattooga County, GA (Just across the Alabama line) and I'm hearing 7-8 PM EST for us. Just my worthless opinion and you should absolutely do what you think is best for your kids, but I think this would take place hours after school is out for our area.

HazardousWx

Reaction score
HAM Callsign
W4SSW
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
The schools in AL have to think about buses that will be on the road here at 3-4:30 or so central time. There is too much uncertainty to risk having the kids out in a severe situation, so they opted to close early and get them home by 1:30 or so...depending on how long their bus route is, 1st or 2nd load, etc.

WesL

"Bill, I'm talkin' imminent rueage"
Administrator
Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
As a parent, I totally understand your concern. I would wait until we start seeing the storms develop in Alabama and go from there. Morgan County, AL school system has a great policy that allows a parent to make the call about weather safety without punishment. Wish other systems would go with that type of thinking as well. But that is another topic for another day and thread. Welcome (officially) to TalkWeather by the way. Glad to have you!

Reaction score
HAM Callsign
KM4JKH
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
People this is not for 4/27/11! I don’t think it’s necessary for you to be pulling your kids out of school. Yes this is a serious event however this is not a generational event. Just stay aware to the warnings

Statistically, your always going to be more likely to be correct when you say, this is not another 4/27. Those events are rare. However, I lived in Huntsville during the original Super Outbreak in 74, and that was supposed to be a generational outbreak. I then chased on 4/27, so I guess I got 2 generational outbreak experiences. Will there be a 3rd in my lifetime? Who knows. Of course you don't need a generational outbreak for an event to change your life forever....you just have to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. Stay safe.

TileDude

Reaction score
Apparently some school officials across north Alabama believe it is serious enough to dismiss early, many have already made announcements.

Bamamuscle

Reaction score
Apparently some school officials across north Alabama believe it is serious enough to dismiss early, many have already made announcements.

Yeah... Not sure where they got that line of thinking from.. I’m a teacher and some of my kids are on a bus upwards of 90 minutes.. Others don’t leave the school until 4:30 on a regular day.. Huntsville City is releasing at 11:30-12:30 and will cut it close getting buses off the road before this kicks off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HazardousWx

Reaction score
HAM Callsign
W4SSW
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Schools are expected to make these decisions the day before nowadays instead of the day of. Expectations have changed with the younger generations, so they are making decisions based on the best forecast they can rely on - that may or may not verify.

kivey2969

Reaction score
Reed Timmer and The Weather Channel are here in Athens, AL. They seem to think Limestone Co. will be a hot spot.