• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
  • April 2024 Weather Video of the Month
    Post your nominations now!

Archive March 18-20th, 2018 Severe Weather

MattW

Reaction score
HAM Callsign
KG4GUF
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Definitely looking like primarily an early overnight event for Georgia. I'm still thinking about trying to chase after work, originally I was targeting Columbus-Bremen, but now I'm thinking if I want to see anything, I'd have to go north and hope it speeds up a little to avoid chasing after dark.

ARCC

Reaction score
18z run is bad for Huntsville.. it's really, really bad..

29365627_971958722973148_7025913742831386624_o.png

That is a nasty sounding on so many levels it isn't funny.

Equus

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Events where convective initiation is over AL rather than moving in from points west are especially suspenseful. I remember obsessing over any small reflectivity pop-ups last April 5 until the dryline passed.

MichelleH

Reaction score
Events where convective initiation is over AL rather than moving in from points west are especially suspenseful. I remember obsessing over any small reflectivity pop-ups last April 5 until the dryline passed.

That will be me tomorrow. My son's new jobs orientation time got changed from 8 to 9 and then they said they would decide based on the weather how long they would be there. This momma is going to be a nervous wreck tomorrow.

Tennie

Reaction score
I'm getting the feeling that this event may wind up being on a level at least similar to, say, 11/15/89 or the April 1998 outbreaks (4/8 and 4/16). Perhaps even the 2002 Veterans' Day outbreak (or at least how the AL part of that event went down, anyway).

In any case, here's hoping that no strong tornadoes end up going through populated areas tomorrow (Knock on wood!)!

Kory

Reaction score
Not fully sure that will be the case. Many CAMs have initiation back over NE/E MS.

Equus

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Oh man I hope it's not a November 10 2002 copy, seeing as an EF3 hit literally the exact property we later built our house on, hah. I hope it's a day where no one sees serious damage from an intense tornado.

Yeah... does seem as though initiation point has been pushed west a bit. Would take the waiting and watching factor down just a little and allow for better short term planning here if that's the case.

X

Xenesthis

I'm getting the feeling that this event may wind up being on a level at least similar to, say, 11/15/89 or the April 1998 outbreaks (4/8 and 4/16). Perhaps even the 2002 Veterans' Day outbreak (or at least how the AL part of that event went down, anyway).

In any case, here's hoping that no strong tornadoes end up going through populated areas tomorrow (Knock on wood!)!

This is a bit premature don’t you think? I am not sure this will rival these events

Richardjacks

Meteorologist
Reaction score
Not fully sure that will be the case. Many CAMs have initiation back over NE/E MS.
yes, that is one of the changes we may see in the next day 1 outlook
For example- with a sounding near those storms in east Miss.
Obviously, the setup is not as potent as a little further east...but those storms may rotate
refcmp_uh001h.us_se.png

nam4km_2018031812_033_34.06--88.99.png

Last edited:

KoD

Staff member
PerryW Project Supporter
Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Seeing a lot of convection in Texas not previously forecasted. I don't think it'll translate to much down the road but worth mentioning.

Kory

Reaction score
Seeing a lot of convection in Texas not previously forecasted. I don't think it'll translate to much down the road but worth mentioning.
Yeah, HRRR and RAP have picked up on this. RAP is showing more convection across North AL/GA tomorrow and HRRR isn't as robust with the northern progression of instability as I would've anticipated. Not sure what to make of that but with the EML moving in, one would think most of the convection would be scattered and elevated.