• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER

June 21st 2023 Matador TX Tornado Discussion

Reaction score
I don't really know much about how these threads work, so sorry if this isn't possible or not part of the thread creation rules, but I'm wondering if it would be good to have a separate thread for this tornado, considering it was likely exceptionally violent?
Done! This shall be the discussion area for the high end tornado that hit Madator, TX on the Summer Solstice.

No QRT with this one.

Sawmaster

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
In order to keep all the info in one place (here), could those who posted about this in other threads request their relevant posts be moved (or copied) here? Much discussion/ pics/ vids might be missed with future researchers of what I think is going to be one of the most interesting tornadoes in a very long time..

StormStalker

Staff member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
We should be able to move the posts over here but it may take a bit. I'll consult with the moderating team and see if we can put a plan together.

Reaction score
If this one gets rated ef5 over all the others….I just have to say…W H A T ? ?

I've certainly seen plenty of contextual evidence that this was in the upper echelon of violent tornadoes (vehicle hurling/mangling/even shredding, tree shredding/debarking, grass scouring, extensive wind rowing, etc)...but I haven't yet seen anything specific as to what potential EF5 indicators might be.

jiharris0220

Reaction score
Welp, I’m bout ready to throw in the towel on this one.
They surveyed for one day and are already finished?
Thats hardly enough time to determine anything higher than a low end ef4.
I could just be overreacting but I can’t help but think this going to be joining the rare ”ef3s that should’ve ef5”. list. (Westminster and New Wren).

Reaction score
I could just be overreacting but I can’t help but think this going to be joining the rare ”ef3s that should’ve ef5”. list. (Westminster and New Wren).
I’m pretty sure more surveys may be conducted…if they don’t do that…then they will be labeled as lazy

Reaction score
The Greensburg, KS and Parkersburg, IA EF5 tornadoes only took a day or two to get the EF5 rating.

jiharris0220

Reaction score
I mean, I guess that’s a little hopeful. And to make things clear, I’m not saying Matador was an ef5, and I’m not expecting it to be one.
Even though the contextuals are clear cut ef5, I’ve seen no conventional DIs that say nothing of the sort.
I just want the damage survey team to take their time and be as precise as possible in rating this thing.
With that being said, I’m now seeing info about the NWI, and that they are only deployed during the most violent of tornadoes, so maybe this won’t be a botched one.

Reaction score
I mean, I guess that’s a little hopeful. And to make things clear, I’m not saying Matador was an ef5, and I’m not expecting it to be one.
Even though the contextuals are clear cut ef5, I’ve seen no conventional DIs that say nothing of the sort.
I just want the damage survey team to take their time and be as precise as possible in rating this thing.
With that being said, I’m now seeing info about the NWI, and that they are only deployed during the most violent of tornadoes, so maybe this won’t be a botched one.
Still though…an ef5 rating isn’t out of the question. We haven’t seen good ground images of most of the slabbed homes yet

atrainguy

Reaction score
Does NWS Lubbock have a reputation of any kind in regards to rating tornadoes? Like having a tendency to overrate or underrate tornadoes?

jiharris0220

Reaction score
While yes, the prospect of ef5 being designated can’t be ruled out, most of the homes that were slabbed didn’t seem like they had any sort of solid concrete foundation.
Especially the lone house with the green roof and interior basement.
And the two story house that, while slabbed, had a fair amount of debris left over, and looked pretty old too.
Again, not discounting the possibility, but I wouldn’t be surprised if an ef5 rating was assigned off of contextuals instead. It’s happened plenty of time before.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Well…tim Marshall is in matador..
And the most interesting di…the slabbed home north of town…wasn’t well built…or anchored well…

Say bye to any ef5 rating that’s for sure now

Reaction score
Well…tim Marshall is in matador..
And the most interesting di…the slabbed home north of town…wasn’t well built…or anchored well…

Say bye to any ef5 rating that’s for sure now
I don't care I would rate it EF5. I am sick and tired of this crap that we need a well-built home to be completely swept away to get an EF5 rating. Use the contextual damage as it is more telling than a well-built house.

Back