• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
  • April 2024 Weather Video of the Month
    Post your nominations now!

June 21st 2023 Matador TX Tornado Discussion

jiharris0220

Reaction score
Yeah, this is odd, they claimed it‘ll be out in the afternoon, yet here we are a few hours until Saturday.
Maybe they’re legitimately taking their time to designate a higher end rating?

JBishopwx

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer

jiharris0220

Reaction score
Just going to throw out a wild guess and say they go 190. Based off of the damage found at the dollar general. The farm house with the basement probably gets 165-170, and the slabbed two story gets 175-180.

buckeye05

Reaction score
190 MPH seems reasonable to me. The damage intensity looks comparable to Rolling Fork, but this time the core of the circulation only hit the edge of the town, rather than engulfing and essentially obliterating the whole community. Had this been a dead-center hit on the Matador, it would have essentially been a daytime Rolling Fork repeat imo.

pohnpei

Reaction score
190 MPH seems reasonable to me. The damage intensity looks comparable to Rolling Fork, but this time the core of the circulation only hit the edge of the town, rather than engulfing and essentially obliterating the whole community. Had this been a dead-center hit on the Matador, it would have essentially been a daytime Rolling Fork repeat imo.
I would say damage was even stronger than Rolling Fork for much stronger vehicle damage(rival to several strongest plain tornado), more clean slabs even it hit far less house and stronger ground scouring.(Rolling Fork had very little scouring in town).

UK_EF4

Reaction score
Tim Marshall does seem pretty impressed the damage, and I am curious to see the construction of that brick home (if it was even surveyed hopefully!) I wouldn’t be surprised to see a rating of EF3 for the dollar general though given there was apparent a vehicle impact which I know some surveyors like to use as justification for going below EXP (which admittedly, i don’t even know the exp wind speed for the dollar general di). Regardless of rating, it was clear this tornado was pretty violent and my thoughts are with those affected.

Back