• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
  • April 2024 Weather Video of the Month
    Post your nominations now!
Logo 468x120

Severe WX December 29 & 30, 2021 Severe Threat

Mike S

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Sun is out here in SW Limestone Co., but it's only 61. I take it that's going to change soon?

Probably. I've been watching weather stations in Haleyville and Hartselle and those temps(and dewpoints) have increased a few degrees

Reaction score
Of COURSE the storms of interest would form right in the worst radar hole possible, roughly equidistant from KLZK, KNQA, KDGX, and KSHV. They will take their time moving appreciably closer to any of them (most likely NQA, then eventually DGX and GWX).

Reaction score
Storm approaching McGehee/Arkansas City looks interesting, only a SVR on it at the moment but it's discrete for the time being and has some hints of a mid-level couplet.

TH2002

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Apparently the NWS told Congress last year that the swiss cheese radar coverage in places like Mississippi has "no significant negative impact” to their ability to issue warnings. I guess that's why they figure the horrible radar coverage is "good enough" and they choose to get by with it.

Reaction score
Apparently the NWS told Congress last year that the swiss cheese radar coverage in places like Mississippi has "no significant negative impact” to their ability to issue warnings. I guess that's why they figure the horrible radar coverage is "good enough" and they choose to get by with it.

So what happens when the only radar that can see a storm below 10,000' goes down during a severe weather event, or at least loses its ability to distribute data as happened to KPAH on 12/10?

TH2002

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
So what happens when the only radar that can see a storm below 10,000' goes down during a severe weather event, or at least loses its ability to distribute data as happened to KPAH on 12/10?
I guess having a backup plan isn't very high on their agenda.

JPWX

Reaction score
Yeah. They apparently want to fund other things besides life saving stuff like radars etc. Throwing it towards warming....

buckeye05

Reaction score
That cell near Houston, MS definitely has that look, but everything else is still looking fairly messy for now.