Severe WX December 29 & 30, 2021 Severe Threat

Kory

Reaction score

Ummm wow? Is this overcooking the potential or has this trended into dangerous situation territory?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think we can get some pretty nasty shear as the meso low/LLJ strengthen toward sunset. Placement of highest potential though is still a question mark in my opinion.

MichelleH

Reaction score
This was from Fred on FB about an hour ago...

Fred here, looking over things before heading into the station this morning...
Based on trends with radar and surface observations, as well as the latest short-term high-resolution model trends, we're starting to get an idea of how the smaller scale details will play out today. The rain and storms lifting northeast across north Mississippi this morning will likely move into southern middle Tennessee and northwest Alabama over the next few hours. As they do that, they will lay down a boundary of rain-cooled air. It's looking more and more like this boundary sets up in northeast Mississippi and northwest Alabama. Near and south of that boundary, the higher severe weather risk will set up there because the air will be more unstable. IF this is where everything sets up over the next few hours, there is an increasing potential that some of the heavier rain may try to work over the atmosphere for a good part of southern middle Tennessee. IF that does happen, it would help to lower the risk some for Tennessee, especially for areas north of Highway 64.
We are NOT ready to give an all clear for our Tennessee areas or anything like that, but it is beginning to look more like the *higher* severe weather risk is setting up across northeast Mississippi and north Alabama. Watching the exact placement of that boundary this afternoon will be KEY to everything.

1640795410151.png

Bama Ravens

Reaction score

Ummm wow? Is this overcooking the potential or has this trended into dangerous situation territory?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm no expert, but that seems a bit extreme. A tornado risk certainly exists today, but a 45% chance within 25 miles of a given point? That's like a "high risk" type of thing.

Equus

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
I see we have a hatch now and a pretty solid idea of where things will set up with the rain lingering... has gotten far more interesting and potentially threatening indeed

Lori

Staff member
Emeritus Moderator
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
I’m hearing of sun peeking out in Central AL, I’m visiting in GA, it’s humid but almost wedgy here…

JayF

Technical Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Technical Admin
Sustaining Member
Reaction score
HAM Callsign
KB4JCS
Last edited:

JayF

Technical Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Technical Admin
Sustaining Member
Reaction score
HAM Callsign
KB4JCS
To me, the enhanced is too far north into Tennessee, and i believe the enhanced should be extended to bham
I don't think it is too far north into Tennessee. we may see that change but as of right now, I am in agreement with it.

Back