• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
Logo 468x120

Archive 2017-2019 Political Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

StormStalker

Staff member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
I’ve been buying ammo and PMags off and on for a while now anticipating something might cause another gun grab.

ghost

PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
A problem with shotguns is that you have to worry about overpenetration and striking unintended targets.
I understand about striking unintended targets with the pattern spread as you get beyond about 20 yds but I don't understand overpenetration. Muzzle velocities of shotguns are generally around 1200-1500 fps and the ability to penetrate beyond 70 yds is very small as the shot lose energy quickly unless you are using a slug or large buckshot. I've been shot at 80 yds before and was hit with #4 lead pellets in my shoulder, arm, and hand. I was wearing a hunting coat and some lightweight gloves. It stung pretty good and had some red whelps but skin was not broken.

Kory

Reaction score
I've noticed a lot of people who claim we don't "need" higher capacity magazines and AR platform rifles have never been through a natural disaster where law and order cease to exist. Case and point...the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina. Armed, law-abiding citizens were the LAST line of defense against packs of criminals and looters. This HAPPENED in a modern American city. Big government, whose job it was to protect lives and property, broke down. Police went AWOL. All modern services stopped and it was simply up to the armed citizenry that remained behind to protect their own lives and property. Looting of food and water trucks were so common, National Guard had to step in. So please, tell me how impractical it is for American citizens to own high capacity magazines, rifles, etc. I've seen a breakdown of law and order in my own hometown and the citizen response to literal gangs running the streets.

And let me tell you, has anyone ever waited in a line to get MREs and water in 90 degree heat? I have with my family and tensions run very high.

Kory

Reaction score
It seems the NRA is enjoying a large boost in inquiries. "Join NRA" searches have more than doubled. Gun shows across the country have had record sales and attendance. Milling machines that are used to make "ghost guns" have been selling in record numbers. This is the reason why liberal gun control policies won't work. Buying an incomplete receiver (80% lower) that you complete yourself means you evade background checks and mandates for serial numbers.

https://trends.google.com/trends/explore?q="join nra"

StormStalker

Staff member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Several local gun stores are seeing an uptick in business today. I hit up a couple of my regular places. Remington just announced bankruptcy so I'm sure they'll be kinda happy to see increase in sales.

Mike S

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer

Kory

Reaction score
Maybe because many of the bishops in the United States are left-wing extremists, led by a Pope whom I'm sometimes not sure who he is working for.
I was done with Pope Francis the minute he started reducing the punishment for pedophile priests....and he did it very sneakily at that. He's is a massive hypocrite doing irreparable harm to the church.

Kory

Reaction score
Despite committing a string of arrestable offenses on campus before the Florida school shooting, Nikolas Cruz was able to escape the attention of law enforcement, pass a background check and purchase the weapon he used to slaughter three staff members and 14 fellow students because of Obama administration efforts to make school discipline more lenient.

Documents reviewed by RealClearInvestigations and interviews show that his school district in Florida’s Broward County was in the vanguard of a strategy, adopted by more than 50 other major school districts nationwide, allowing thousands of troubled, often violent, students to commit crimes without legal consequence. The aim was to slow the "school-to-prison pipeline."
Yep, sounds like a problem with our gun laws, doesn't it?

https://www.realclearinvestigations...cipline_policy_and_the_parkland_shooting.html

Kory

Reaction score
I really don't care if Americans own AR-15... Ak-47... etc. of the military style rifles that so many are up in arms (pun) about. What I don't understand is why American civilians feel the need for high capacity mags for their guns. I think this is the main cause for the higher casualties in many of the mass shooting incidents we have had. The down time for reloading is substantially reduced when the shooter can shoot 30/60 or more times before stopping to reload. Evan I know you are passionate about this, but explain to me why you think this is so important for civilians to have access to. My sphere of gun experience has been hunting and target practice. I fortunately have not had to use a gun in defense of my property or my loved ones, but if that situation was to occur, I think the six shots in my .38 and three shots in shotgun will be reasonable firepower in a close quarters situation that would require. I'm not trying to troll you guys, I just would like to understand your thinking on why a gun that holds so many rounds is so important to you.
Well, about that...

The Parkland shooter did not use magazines larger than 10 rounds, but gun-reform lobbyists are calling on lawmakers to ban higher-capacity magazines after the Valentine’s Day tragedy.
https://www.nationalreview.com/2018/03/report-parkland-shooter-did-not-use-high-capacity-magazines/

gangstonc

Reaction score
CNN obtained a tape of Trump at a closed-door fundraiser. He said this about China's president: "He's now president for life. President for life. And he's great. And look, he was able to do that. I think it's great. Maybe we'll give that a shot some day." https://t.co/FzLjVtlhl1

Arcadia

Reaction score
CNN obtained a tape of Trump at a closed-door fundraiser. He said this about China's president: "He's now president for life. President for life. And he's great. And look, he was able to do that. I think it's great. Maybe we'll give that a shot some day." https://t.co/FzLjVtlhl1

It's hard to know for sure, but that sounded like sarcasm - like he was making a joke. But I know CNN or most in the media will just take his words and run with them. Trump gave them plenty enough fodder to contend with this past week to keep them busy with tariffs and due process. But if they're truly worried about Trump being serious here all they need to do is make sure Trump speaks to someone with the exact opposite opinion in a closed door meeting and when they emerge...he'll have changed his mind.

Kory

Reaction score
I stopped reading when I saw CNN as a source. Look, I can see something with my own eyes, but if CNN reported it that way, I'd second guess myself. That's how little faith I have in them.

Kory

Reaction score
This guy makes some incredible points. It’s hard to have civil discourse when the other side refuses to respect the logical views of those on the opposite side, when they will refuse to accept compromise, and when they are disingenuous about their ultimate goals.

KoD

Staff member
Sustaining Member
PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
I choose a shotgun for home defense for a couple reasons. The sound of pumping a shell in the chamber should make an intruder do a quick 180°. If they pose an obvious deadly threat (visible gun/knife) and persist through the house after aggressive verbal warnings then I'd like the option of shooting them through a wall before they get a chance to see/shoot me (assuming there's a complete confidence that a last resort discharge of my firearm is necessary). I know my house better than they would (Mirrors, furniture, rooms, closets, studs & load bearing beams, etc). As mentioned before, projectile overpenetration is a huge concern and something I always think about when considering these types of scenarios. I can't imagine somebody breaking into my house with a gun, hearing a shotgun load, ignoring warnings that I will shoot them, and then that person proceed forward with whatever it is they're trying to do in my house... But you never know.

gangstonc

Reaction score
It's hard to know for sure, but that sounded like sarcasm - like he was making a joke. But I know CNN or most in the media will just take his words and run with them. Trump gave them plenty enough fodder to contend with this past week to keep them busy with tariffs and due process. But if they're truly worried about Trump being serious here all they need to do is make sure Trump speaks to someone with the exact opposite opinion in a closed door meeting and when they emerge...he'll have changed his mind.
I think it was pretty well understood to be a joke.

Kory

Reaction score
NRA membership enrollment has increased 4,900% over normal rates. They should come out and thank those annoying, smug, immature kids from CNN's scripted panel.

Arcadia

Reaction score
I think it was pretty well understood to be a joke.

Anyone listening to the audio would know he was joking. Simply reading the words like... 'Trump praises Chinese president extending tenure 'for life', which is the headline for CNBC, or reading the quote you posted, it's not understood. You, yourself, posted without comment, giving no indication it was a joke. It was also the first time I'd seen it. Most people are headline readers, sadly. And the media knows it. They're being purposely specious.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back