• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER

Winter Weather 2023-2024

Do you think it will snow an inch or more in your backyard this winter?

• Yes

Votes: 16 69.6%
  • No

Votes: 7 30.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Blountwolf

Sustaining Member
PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
ahhh I forgot all about that haha
Well it only had it's last version released 10 years ago, you're so quick to throw it out. ;) (I know, I'm a luddite. But it worked!)

Blountwolf

Sustaining Member
PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
Glad to see the warm moist air winning handily now. Begone, icy mess.

Blountwolf

Sustaining Member
PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
Far NE Alabama may get a flizzard. (flurries)
1705686605313.png

WesL

"Bill, I'm talkin' imminent rueage"
Staff member
Administrator
Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer

Of course, it would be a Tyson truck. Sent the link over to transportation just in case they hadn't heard how icy it is. Great shot by the way.

wx_guy

Reaction score
HAM Callsign
KO4ZGH
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
  2. ARRL Member
The 06z GEFS American Ensemble is crazy for a Southern Snow event February 4-5! We'll have to see if there's consistency and other models come on board. The overall probability is still low-ish in most areas (10-30%) for 1-inch snowfall, but remember this is a 10:1 ratio that the GEFS uses, and Southern snowfall often has a lower ratio, making it easier to amass higher amounts. Still....a fantasy at this point, but cool to see anyway. Maybe the ingredients could actually come together in some areas. It'd be super cool for a novelty snow event in the extreme Deep South. Haven't had one in a few years.

(For the curious, for me in Tallahassee FL, the GEFS 06z run has a mean snowfall of 0.1 inches and a 3% chance of 1-inch or greater...so probably a no-go for me at least haha).

1706453762260.png1706453812568.png1706453860872.png1706453910798.png

JPWX

Reaction score
The GEFS solution is interesting. We'll see if other models begin to latch on to this idea, but February is typically the best month for Deep South winter events (if the overall pattern favors it). The pattern going forward does favor more cold and winter weather issues for the Gulf States. Per usual, timing is gonna be everything.

wx_guy

Reaction score
HAM Callsign
KO4ZGH
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
  2. ARRL Member
12Z GEFS also has a snowy signal, but not quite as strong. Canadian Ensemble has some extreme Deep South snow probabilities also. Still too iffy to consider seriously, just going "hmmm" at the moment.

UncleJuJu98

100,000th Post
Reaction score
The GEFS solution is interesting. We'll see if other models begin to latch on to this idea, but February is typically the best month for Deep South winter events (if the overall pattern favors it). The pattern going forward does favor more cold and winter weather issues for the Gulf States. Per usual, timing is gonna be everything.
This has the "look"; for sure. Let's see if all the pieces come together.

Logo 468x120
Back