• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
  • April 2024 Weather Video of the Month
    Post your nominations now!
Reaction score
More Guin damage pics:

Possible ground scouring in second pic, hard to tell with black and white photography:

41.jpg42.jpg43.jpg

44.jpg

45.jpg

In third pic note the mangled trailer that appears to be wrapped/impaled on/around some sort of tree or other low-hang object. In the fourth pic I think you can see ground scouring in the lower right behind the car.

Reaction score
More Guin and Yampertown pics:

Tragedy 1.jpgTragedy 2.jpgTragedy 3.jpgTragedy 4.jpgTragedy 5.jpg

This pic is in someone's woods in the area....50 years later still bits of sheet metal from the tornado laying around in it:

Yampertown Woods.jpg

Last 2 involve Xenia. First is a damage pic, second is a newspaper article showing similarities between the 1974 and 2000 tornadoes that hit the same town:

Attachments

• 162466211_10226207082906215_507691727880404733_n.jpg
    162466211_10226207082906215_507691727880404733_n.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 162541748_10226207082586207_5063516564542345987_n.jpg
    162541748_10226207082586207_5063516564542345987_n.jpg
    168.7 KB · Views: 0
Reaction score
Some takes on the above images:

*Depauw clearly seems to have been more violent than some people initially believed, as damage to trees seems to have been rather severe, and at least one newspaper indicates that isolated stands of trees were debarked. Kennard and Monticello also seem to have done some impressive debarking of low-lying vegetation, and Kennard, in particular, seems to have done some ground scouring, though the views are not entirely definitive.
*Guin clearly seems to have maintained F5 intensity in Yampertown, consistent with Dr. Fujita’s original survey, based on extreme debarking and ground scouring.
*The second image from Guin, in particular, shows extremely fine, extensive granulation, similar to Xenia, Parkersburg, Smithville, Joplin, Moore, etc. Along with the extreme scouring and debarking, this makes clear that Guin definitely is among the top-tier tornadoes on record.

Hopefully Tornado Talk or some other source will be able to get more detailed imagery of Depauw, Sayler Park, and the two Tanner tornadoes.

Reaction score
Going through the new Grazulis book and I found his entry for Red Rock 1991:

Screenshot 2024-04-06 at 16-31-19 IMG_0377.jpg (JPEG Image 3024 × 4032 pixels) — Scaled (21%).png

Does anyone on here have any pictures of the home near Billings or two farms between Ceres and Marland? I'd love to find pictures of the toppled oil rig and scoured county roads but no lock so far. The only other tornado I know of that toppled a massive oil rig is El Reno 2011, stuff like this seems proof that Red Rock was basically El Reno 2011 but thankfully it avoided hitting populated areas for its whole path.

Also, Grazulis' entry on Chapman, KS 2016 is interesting because he mentions that the damage to the farm SW of Chapman was "near EF5", so at least he acknowledges this thing wasn't just a run of the mill EF4.

For Tuscaloosa-Birmingham he mentions that the original rating was going to be EF5 but was changed to EF4. To quote: "Originally rated at EF5, final judgment was EF4 based on types of construction, despite public pressure for the higher rating".

At least he acknowledges the controversy on this thing's rating, he didn't even do that for the Vilonia entry. Strange, really.

Reaction score
Going through the new Grazulis book and I found his entry for Red Rock 1991:

View attachment 25171

Does anyone on here have any pictures of the home near Billings or two farms between Ceres and Marland? I'd love to find pictures of the toppled oil rig and scoured county roads but no lock so far. The only other tornado I know of that toppled a massive oil rig is El Reno 2011, stuff like this seems proof that Red Rock was basically El Reno 2011 but thankfully it avoided hitting populated areas for its whole path.

Also, Grazulis' entry on Chapman, KS 2016 is interesting because he mentions that the damage to the farm SW of Chapman was "near EF5", so at least he acknowledges this thing wasn't just a run of the mill EF4.

For Tuscaloosa-Birmingham he mentions that the original rating was going to be EF5 but was changed to EF4. To quote: "Originally rated at EF5, final judgment was EF4 based on types of construction, despite public pressure for the higher rating".

At least he acknowledges the controversy on this thing's rating, he didn't even do that for the Vilonia entry. Strange, really.
There’s a school of thought amongst the wx community that Tim Marshall or someone involved in the Vilonia survey that has a relationship with Grazulis contacted him and either persuaded or pressured him to back off on feeding the Vilonia controversy.

I’m not much for conspiracy theories but it was a bizarre back tracking on his part after teasing it for his book. Could just be an age related thing though, I mean the man is in his 80s

Reaction score
There’s a school of thought amongst the wx community that Tim Marshall or someone involved in the Vilonia survey that has a relationship with Grazulis contacted him and either persuaded or pressured him to back off on feeding the Vilonia controversy.

I’m not much for conspiracy theories but it was a bizarre back tracking on his part after teasing it for his book. Could just be an age related thing though, I mean the man is in his 80s

I wonder if it's an age-related thing, as I'm not a fan of conspiracy theories either. But yeah he is 80-something so.....who knows?

Reaction score
I wonder if it's an age-related thing, as I'm not a fan of conspiracy theories either. But yeah he is 80-something so.....who knows?
I would lean that way. He’s a very eccentric person, regardless the patron saint of tornado history, and some of his tweets can lean into bizarre territory. One that comes to mind is saying when Tim Marshall is gone the EF5s will return and ratings will be more liberal because he keeps everything in check. That’s paraphrasing but it was discussed on this board as well.

buckeye05

Reaction score
@buckeye05 Do you have a photograph of this?
I tend to be on the more skeptical side when it comes to damage photo analysis, but I don't know what this would be besides what it looks like. From what I understand this was a concrete house that was reinforced with metal mesh/lattice, and it appears to be scoured down to the metal reinforcement.
qjyTnz9.jpg

1lcFNtx.jpg

6PyfTQu.jpg

HAwkmoon

Reaction score
I will reiterate, as it's a common lament after the old TW went down, thanks to fortuitous obsessive digital hoarding I have both the old Significant Tornado Events and Strongest Tornado threads from the old site through about May 2014, perfectly intact with all posts and images through then (along with a few others such as the Joplin and May 2013 Moore/El Reno days) so if there's anything anyone wants me to pull from those I can do so. I'd repost them all here but would of course want explicit moderator approval before spamming the board.
Like to see any unique or obscure photos of Joplin or any from the 2011 outbreak.

Reaction score
I will reiterate, as it's a common lament after the old TW went down, thanks to fortuitous obsessive digital hoarding I have both the old Significant Tornado Events and Strongest Tornado threads from the old site through about May 2014, perfectly intact with all posts and images through then (along with a few others such as the Joplin and May 2013 Moore/El Reno days) so if there's anything anyone wants me to pull from those I can do so. I'd repost them all here but would of course want explicit moderator approval before spamming the board.
Obscure pics of Joplin, 2013 Moore, May 2003 events, or some older events (like 1920s-1960s range).

Reaction score
Some more damage of pics Guin I found on an ABC 33/40 video on YouTube, quite a bit of these photos are alternate angles same area. I'm going to compare and contrast some previous photos and these and also show some colorized versions of B&W ones found on FB, NWS, and TornadoTalk. If anyone thinks this is more appropriate for the 1974 thread, I'll post it there later. Anyways, on to damage and photo analysis!

These are of the area around the storm shelter & with a single house slabbed. Quite a pile of debris:
1.png
2.png
3.png
In the third photo you can a couple other damaged behind in the background behind the blue car that is also visible in the photo below. Also, not what looks like a large round object with brown under it. I'm not sure if it's a concrete base from a flagpole or not but definitely an object of interest. Also, look at the low lying shrubs that appear to be stripped and debarked.
7.png
Come to think of it, I think you debarked/shredded shrubs are visible here too, in the center and right foreground around the foundation.

This is of a damaged but still standing house with tons of debris piled against it. Also, the grass has a green/brown mix that be scouring or not, hard to tell with the photo quality:
5.png

Shredded tree:

4.png

This is the most intriguing photo for me. Ground scouring is visible and more extreme here than in the other pic of this with the overturned car:

6.png

For reference, the other pic of this site:

12.jpg

Video source:

Reaction score
Next, the colorized pics. A lot of the B&W pics from A NIGHT TO REMEMBER, newspapers.com & Fujita's papers don't colorize successfully but a handful I found on FB and from ABC 33/40 did. I'm posting the ones that the color really bring out ground scouring and other incredible damage feats:

First off, ground scouring around the building here looks pretty intense. It reminds of that pic from Niles, Ohio where a house was damaged but still standing but the lawn was scoured to hell:
g18Wgjle.jpg

This one is crazy. I think there's some sort of frame of either a mobile home or automobile twisted & tossed amongst the pile of rubble, I didn't notice it the first I looked at the pic until I colorized it:

46Z5lmXt.jpg

Note the ground scouring scouring behind the car in the area where the trio of workers are standing. Also, it looks like the car had some specks of paint chipped off but can't tell for sure.
kmXHvk1-.jpg

Not as impressive but some ground scouring might be visible in the middle house. Pretty clear this photo was taken post-clean up. Note the tree covered in debris:

byb0VyI0.jpg

Another photo of the mangled vehicle/trailer frame. I put red arrows pointing at the tires & frame to help you see it. I also placed another arrow near the bottom at white I believe is ground/hillside scouring:

Pile.jpg

The issues with verifying Guin's intensity were multifold; one being since it occurred at night all the damage photographs were taken the next day, likely when clean up had already begun. The other issues were that it had a narrow core of extreme (like Niles-Wheatland or Smithville) so the most extreme damage was no more than 100 yards wide and was likely missed by photographers, partly due to how little buildings experienced F5 winds & because the area of Guin's greatest intensity was swept so clean lots of outside newspaper photographers likely mistook it for a vacant lot or undeveloped residential area & hence, ignored photographing it. Guin being a remote, rural area likely didn't help matters as it got little publicity outside of Alabama. I'd say this thing was basically a mixture of Hackleburg and Smithville in terms of damage intensity, path width & size of inner core of F5 winds.

Reaction score
On this, these 3 incredible photos:

View attachment 25314View attachment 25315View attachment 25316

The older thread had the full sequence of this that was around 12 or so photos, but I can't find any others.

Amazing photos and reminiscent of images of several other catastrophic violent tornadoes such as Andover and Tuscaloosa.

4/10/79 was an exceptional outbreak for the southern Plains in many ways, both for producing such a concentrated cluster of violent tornadoes and for the inordinate proportion of them that struck towns and cities in that region.

Logo 468x120
Back