• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER

Severe WX Severe Threat 8/9-8/10 2023

Kolle

Reaction score
I listened in to the Huntsville NWS office give a briefing on tomorrow's weather this afternoon. Their consensus seemed to be this will be a high-uncertainly but also high-ceiling event, and specifically mentioned that the shear in place for tomorrow was something more often seen in Spring setups.

JPWX

Reaction score
I'll be honest. The 18z 3km NAM and the last run of the HRRR I looked at (think it was the 18z) seemed a bit lackluster on storm coverage. Having said that, the HRRR and NAM future radars haven't been doing that great.

Weatherphreak

Reaction score
Brad Travis seems fairly concerned with tomorrow. He mentioned having to watch for supercells ahead of the line tomorrow afternoon. The threat around 1-2am may actually be worse based off what he said. Best case is the first round wipes out the atmosphere a good bit and the night time storms aren’t as bad. Lower level jet really gets going later on.

Taylor Campbell

PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
This was today's 12z CSU-MLP probability forecast for tomorrow. Sadly, the HREF hazard guidance is inoperable.

csu mlp.png

TheSuckZone

Reaction score
10% hatched Tornado area for latest outlook

F3F0REXXAAE6nLn

warneagle

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
I thought they gave a good explanation on why they held off on a higher risk category for the time being. Looks like a real bang-or-bust setup.

Weatherphreak

Reaction score
Just ..wow...03Z THU right over Limestone County. Look at that STP of 10. This is August of coarse, but this is alarming somewhat

View attachment 21297
Wonder if the STP is over doing it due to the high CAPE values we have this time of year? Brad mentioned in one of his streams the EHI seemed a bit over blown and said it was probably due to CAPE.

Clancy

Reaction score
Wonder if the STP is over doing it due to the high CAPE values we have this time of year? Brad mentioned in one of his streams the EHI seemed a bit over blown and said it was probably due to CAPE.
Does seem that summer CAPE gives a big boost to the STPs, though as we've seen sometimes big CAPE can overcome lesser dynamics.

Logo 468x120
Back