• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
  • April 2024 Weather Video of the Month
    Post your nominations now!
Logo 468x120

Archive 2017-2019 Political Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Derek00

Reaction score
Wonderful. But that's not how a Constitutional Republic works. Yes, that pesky little document "Republicans won't shut up about."
So how do we fix the problem this country has with gun violence? Ignore it? Maybe send out a few more thoughts and prayers?

Kory

Reaction score
So how do we fix the problem this country has with gun violence? Ignore it? Maybe send out a few more thoughts and prayers?
Gun deaths and gun-related violent crimes have been declining since the 90s. Yes, declining AFTER the expiration of the assault weapons ban and as the number of firearms in circulation has reached record levels in the U.S.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...ited-states-heres-why/?utm_term=.e51828b96166

It's easy to regurgitate talking points from the leftist media, but we have NOT seen any major increase in gun deaths. The majority of gun deaths were suicides (~65%) of 33,636 (this is averaged yearly data from the 2010s). We're talking about minuscule percentages when taking into account the whole population of the U.S. Then break it down even further, Chicago, New Orleans, St. Louis, Baltimore, and Detroit (all heavily impoverished, poor education, democrat run inner cities), are nearly half of the gun violence deaths. I think it's more of a culture/economic problem than a gun law problem.

I have a counter for you, name one piece of gun control legislation that would've stopped any of the recent mass shootings? Assault weapons ban, age limit, high capacity magazine ban, bump stock ban? I'd love to know. Hint: look at how the Maryland high school shooting ended. That's the answer.

Arcadia

Reaction score
I would like to add that in the case of Parkland, lest it need to be said again, was a case of law enforcement failing to do its job, and nothing to do with gun laws. But blame the gun. That's easier. People can't lose their jobs if it's the gun's fault.

Kory

Reaction score
Nonetheless, many of the marchers basked openly in the comforts of simplicity, monomania, and crass demonization. Evidently, the leaders of this movement do not respect those they oppose, and so they dehumanize them. They do not value the Second Amendment, and so they dismiss it. They do not know — or care — that hundreds of thousands of Americans use guns in self-defense each year, and so they cast the right as all downside. Their knowledge is shallow and their focus is narrow, as one would reasonably expect of teenagers.

These shortcomings can be forgiven in the youthful advocates; they, after all, were thrust cruelly into the spotlight of someone else’s volition. But one cannot be so kind to the adults who are encouraging them — and, in some cases, who are cravenly hiding behind them waving the bloody shirt. There is argument, and there is agitation. There is discourse, and there is propaganda. There is reflection, and there is reaction. The show that the marchers put on this weekend was untethered from reality and from civility. It deserves to be treated as such.

https://www.nationalreview.com/2018/03/march-for-our-lives-conservative-protest/

It's scary the left is increasingly pushing agendas that are counter to facts and reality that would slap them in the face with a 5-minute google search. When the focus should be on HOW the shooter slipped through the safe guards we had in place. WHY did the resource officer at the school not respond properly. WHAT policies of the Broward County sheriff's office and the FBI failed.

Kory

Reaction score
OMG. This is gold. The stupidity is unreal.

And then they let their true intentions slip...it's not just "assault weapons." It's the whole second amendment. Ladies and gentlemen, this is an outright threat to the future of this country and the liberties that come with it.

Arcadia

Reaction score
Not just the second amendment, Kory. The entire Constitution. "It's outdated" and "It no longer applies in today's society." Just wad that thing up and throw it in the trash. Who needs that darn old thing anymore?

Serious question... Do we not teach History anymore? Not just American History. ANYONE'S HISTORY?

Kory

Reaction score
We don't need free speech. Who needs to be able to express their opinion? Or who needs due process. Let's try people endless times for crimes they have been acquitted of. Need fair representation in court...nah! Cruel and unusual punishment for a parking ticket....sounds great!

It all starts "we aren't coming for your guns...just assault weapons and bump stocks."

We've had ample evidence of the nonchalance exhibited by the left regarding the bill of rights. Even within this very thread.

Republicans have a bad habit of not shutting up about the constitution.

BYI7lDm.jpg

Kory

Reaction score
Nothing is sacred to Planned Parenthood, except the mass murder of the most vulnerable of our species. What a disgusting organization. Thank you Republicans for fully funding a murder factory.

MywSaGz.png

Jacob

Reaction score
We don't need free speech. Who needs to be able to express their opinion? Or who needs due process. Let's try people endless times for crimes they have been acquitted of. Need fair representation in court...nah! Cruel and unusual punishment for a parking ticket....sounds great!

It all starts "we aren't coming for your guns...just assault weapons and bump stocks."

We've had ample evidence of the nonchalance exhibited by the left regarding the bill of rights. Even within this very thread.

BYI7lDm.jpg

There's not much question that a complete repeal of the 2nd amendment and ban on gun ownership is the end goal of many on the left. It'll be interesting to see the push back if they push hard on that going forward.

KoD

Staff member
Sustaining Member
PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
There's not much question that a complete repeal of the 2nd amendment and ban on gun ownership is the end goal of many on the left. It'll be interesting to see the push back if they push hard on that going forward.
It may be because I grew up in Texas, but I never ran across a Democrat that was opposed to having guns in the home for defensive purposes. Not saying they aren't out there, because they are, but Democrats making a second amendment repeal apart of their platform would be disastrous and they know that.

Jacob

Reaction score
It may be because I grew up in Texas, but I never ran across a Democrat that was opposed to having guns in the home for defensive purposes. Not saying they aren't out there, because they are, but Democrats making a second amendment repeal apart of their platform would be disastrous and they know that.

Unfortunately the party is left of where most Democrats are, and it only seems to be pivoting harder left.

I don't think it'll become part of the platform because I agree it would be disastrous, but that doesn't mean it isn't an end goal by many on the left.

Kory

Reaction score
The pushback will be relentless. Its already beginning with NRA and other pro-gun rights groups seeing astronomical surges in membership. It would be a losing battle for the left. There are over 350 million guns estimated in circulation as of 2015 with record gun sales in the following years as well. Look at fast and furious, one of Obama's amazing gunwalking tactics, where the ATF couldn't keep track of 2,000 guns. Think they can round up/ban the trafficking of guns should a hypothetical wholesale repeal of the 2nd amendment pass? Heck no.

And then I hear so much of "the 2nd amendment is useless against a tyrannical government of today. If the U.S. government brought their full might, no number of civilian guns would matter." Yeah, the rice farmers in Vietnam and the Taliban disagree.

Kory

Reaction score
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.
On Tuesday, David Hogg, one of the most vocal survivors of the February 14 atrocity, revealed that he had been rejected from four of the schools he applied to; UCLA, UCSD, UCSB and UC Irvine.

Hogg, 17, is not alone. Fellow survivor Ryan Deitsch was turned down by UCLA.

It is not clear what either wants to study. Hogg has a 4.2 GPA and scored a 1270 on his SATs, both of which are considered above average.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...g-survivors-rejected-California-colleges.html

Kory

Reaction score
Too far. I don’t think it’s funny to laugh at a child for something like this.
Nah, he chose to go on vulgar rants, posture on the graves of his dead classmates, and slander of millions of law abiding Americans, while pushing for constitutionally guaranteed rights to be revoked.

He chose to become a radical activist and the colleges saw that as a liability. I have no sympathy for the misfortune he created as cold as that sounds. Sorry if that upsets you.

Last edited:

gangstonc

Reaction score
Nah, he chose to go on vulgar rants, posture on the graves of his dead classmates, and slander of millions of law abiding Americans, while pushing for constitutionally guaranteed rights to be revoked.

He chose to become a radical activist and the colleges saw that as a liability. I have no sympathy for the misfortune he created as cold as that sounds. Sorry if that upsets you.
Not upset at all. I just don't see how you are so fired up about a kid.

Anyway: https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/poli...gn-prosecutors-say/ar-BBKNKXj?ocid=spartanntp

Kory

Reaction score
Not upset at all. I just don't see how you are so fired up about a kid.
Because, I'd like to see a rational discussion, at a nationwide scale, about what we can do to strengthen prevention of another tragedy. That "kid" is the figurehead of the movement, who has derailed any rational discussion. He is a hypocrite and opportunist who has proposed NOTHING of value for the prevention of something like Parkland from ever happening again and is using this to gain fame. He won't even hold the coward police and the FBI who failed accountable, and address the policies that allowed Cruz to slip by. So how can anyone on the other side of the gun grabbing argument tolerate being name called and having our civil rights threatened sit here and NOT get fired up? He won't go on a televised debate with another Parkland student who is pro-gun and has very rational ideas that DON'T violate civil rights. He isn't open to civil discourse. Again, I don't take mob rule against liberties in this country lightly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back