• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
  • April 2024 Weather Video of the Month
    Post your nominations now!

Archive 2017-2019 Political Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

ghost

PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
Not upset at all. I just don't see how you are so fired up about a kid.
While I am sympathetic to some elements of their cause... I have an uneasy feeling about Hogg. He seems to relish his role and the power that goes with it way too much.

Kory

Reaction score
While I am sympathetic to some elements of their cause... I have an uneasy feeling about Hogg. He seems to relish his role and the power that goes with it way too much.
Exactly. He is doing this for fame. If he truly cared about preventing another tragedy, he wouldn't avoid an open and honest debate on the policies that let this happen. He has derailed an honest national discussion with propaganda and lies.

Kory

Reaction score
It's great to see the youth being so involved in politics such as the March for Our Lives! Oh, wait, it turns out only ~10% of the marchers were under 18. And the average age of the marchers....49 years old. LOL...another false narrative down the toilet. If we could channel the fake news, propaganda, and lies perpetuated with this incident alone into electricity, we could probably power the third world.

An analysis of the crowd at the March for Our Lives showed that only 10 percent of the marchers were teenagers under 18.

Despite media reports emphasizing the youth of the protesters, especially the Parkland student leaders, the average marcher was a 49-year-old, college-educated woman, reported Dana R. Fisher, a University of Maryland sociology professor who surveyed the crowd at the march.

https://www.nationalreview.com/news/march-for-our-lives-protesters-10-percent-under-18/

Evan

Reaction score
Too far. I don’t think it’s funny to laugh at a child for something like this.

He's not a child. He's either 17 or 18 years old.

Evan

Reaction score

A 1270 SAT score would be in the bottom 25% of admittals for UCLA. I don't believe there are many affluent Caucasians attending UCLA that scored a 1270 unless they are an athlete. UCLA is an extremely competitive University, and their average SAT is around 1370. For out-of-state it's closer to 1450. Not sure why he'd even apply. He received bad advice. A 1270 is an above average score, but definitely not the type of score that will see you gain admission to a school that is highly selective or even selective if you are an out of state applicant.

A 1270 is exactly what you'd expect from an average Caucasian student that attended an affluent school like Parkland.

Evan

Reaction score

I found it interesting that he opposed the clear backpacks requirement that Parkland wanted to implement because he said it would infringe upon student rights. Particularly, he said it would be a violation of their 1st amendment rights which is absurd and nonsensical. He's clearly no Constitutional scholar, nor would anyone expect a HS student of his age and background to be one. That said, it is amazingly hypocritical to say you support all kinds of 2nd amendment restrictions on law-abiding citizens while being against a security rule that has not only been found to be Constitutional by the courts, but is also a frequently implemented policy in school districts throughout the country.

It's almost as if the only acceptable solution to Hogg and his friends is the banning of firearms. He's gone out of his way to defend the Broward Sheriff's lack of action toward Cruz, the cowardly deputy that refused to enter the school, and I've seen nothing from his group about mental health issues. Their solitary focus has been on attacking the NRA, Republicans, and gun owners for the actions of a disturbed student that attended their school. They've completely ignored the failures of law enforcement, the school administration/district, and have even admitted they didn't like Cruz and ostracized him. Later on, they attempted to "clarify" that they were "forced" to ostracize him because he was dangerous, yet continue to place little blame on the school and law enforcement for not doing anything about his behavior.

It is obvious that they only see one issue and that's guns. Anyone who is honest knows that mass shootings and violence are much deeper and complex problems than the availability of firearms or other weapons. High School students aren't known for their critical thinking skills and deep logic -- and I don't think that's being unfair. We all know and should remember how much your brain and thinking skills develop from age 15-18 compared to 20-25, and how highly individual that is as well.

KoD

Staff member
Sustaining Member
PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
Interesting chart

full.png

JayF

Technical Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sustaining Member
Technical Admin
Reaction score
HAM Callsign
KB4JCS
Interesting chart

full.png
What would be interesting would be to see this chart with the major world or national events happening with each data point.

Reactions: KoD

Derek00

Reaction score
I've noticed a few
He's not a child. He's either 17 or 18 years old.
He's a high school student that was entered into the spotlight because he managed to survive a school shooting. Has he done and said everything in an ideal way? No, he hasn't, but most people at that age aren't exactly at a peak level of maturity.

You can disagree with his cause, but mocking him over his academics or the like is pretty gross and classless. Laura Ingraham is realizing that now that some of her sponsors started jumping ship.

maroonedinhsv

Reaction score
I've noticed a few

He's a high school student that was entered into the spotlight because he managed to survive a school shooting. Has he done and said everything in an ideal way? No, he hasn't, but most people at that age aren't exactly at a peak level of maturity.

You can disagree with his cause, but mocking him over his academics or the like is pretty gross and classless. Laura Ingraham is realizing that now that some of her sponsors started jumping ship.
The difference between active and passive verbs is important. He was not entered into the spotlight, he entered the spotlight by choice.

Kory

Reaction score
White supremacist Jared Taylor, whose website was the inspiration for the Charleston Church shooter, will be speaking on UA's campus April 19th. As if we need anymore crap like this leading up to A-Day and then finals right after.

It seems the president's email brought light to a situation that maybe 30 people may have known about. Now, it's all over the news and social media.

gangstonc

Reaction score
Jeff Sessions was mentioned in a Reuters report about Murller’s Russia investigation. There are also reports that Gates didn’t flip to tattle on Manafort, but somebody else.

We sure have come a long way from nobody in the Trump administration ever having spoken to a Russian.

Kory

Reaction score
Is that supposed to make grown adults feel better for mocking/taunting a 17-year-old kid who survived a mass shooting?
Are you going to answer any of the points I brought up on the other page (that you specifically asked for)? Or are you gonna continue to smugly lecture people on etiquette because that is really the only contribution you bring?

Last edited:

maroonedinhsv

Reaction score
Is that supposed to make grown adults feel better for mocking/taunting a 17-year-old kid who survived a mass shooting?
No, it’s supposed to make a grown adult realize that a 17-year-old young adult is reaping what he has sown. He did not choose to be a part of a school shooting. He has chosen to be the spokesperson for a revolution, and any consequences that result from that choice are his burden to bear.

Evan

Reaction score
I've noticed a few

I don't believe he was in the freshman building where the shooting took place. I'm not splitting hairs. I believe there is a difference between the students in the freshman building that watched their friend die, and whose lives were at risk, and the trauma suffered by others - - that while extensive didn't include them being fired upon or ever being in actual danger.

Please point out where I mocked him. I discussed why he likely didn't get into the most selective of the colleges he applied to, and that he received bad advice to have applied to those places to begin with. It is pretty obvious Hogg is hoping those colleges will now face pressure to admit him as there's no other reason he would've disclosed that they didn't accept him.

SF Gate did a piece discussing much of the same:
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...owAQ&usg=AOvVaw08mC5uJr8koV_Fy2dmUhjH&ampcf=1

Please let me know if you simply mis-phrased your intended point as I didn't mock the guy. Additionally, as I stated, he's not a kid. He's playing big boy games and with that comes a certain expectation as well as opening yourself up to criticism of your actions and words. Hogg has acted like a petulant narcissist at times and at others he's acted like a very immature and incredibly spoiled person.

His recent comments that Parkland is being racist by having additional security by adding additional law enforcement resources is a very good example of this.

Let's me be very frank for a moment. Before Cruz had been arrested, injuried victims taken to the hospital, or any VERIFIED details had been released about the shooting, Hogg was interviewing fellow students in a closet and encouraging them to make anti-gun and pro gun-control comments. I find that utterly amazing as I would've expected the focus would've been on who has been hurt, accounting for friends, and attempting to find out the scale of what had just occured. Instead, you can hear Hogg on the video whispering to one of the people he interviewed that "we need diversity" and pushed her to make additional comments about gun control. This was before Hogg or anyone else knew how the shooter obtained his weapon(s). He had a narrative from minute 1. That *IS* what he is being criticized for. He and his fellow activists have refused to blame the shooter, the school admin, the school district, law enforcement, or anyone else that had DIRECT responsibility for actions that allowed the shooting to occur. Instead, he has directly blamed Marco Rubio and the NRA as well as other Republicans.

Here's the video, and Hogg himself gives the time several times throughout. You can match it up with timelines of the shooting available from many media outlets.

I'll add one final criticism of Hogg. The evening of the shooting he started giving media interviews. You can Google for them. From the start he appeared to be claiming that he was at much more risk of being harmed in the shooting than he was. He claimed an unnamed janitor saved him and others from certain death. By all accounts, this appears to be gross hyperbole at best, or based on his subsequent actions, a clear exaggeration meant to gain sympathy and obtain the media spotlight. It is very interesting how the main "activists" that claim this shooting propelled them into action weren't in the freshman building, weren't freshmen themselves, and had expressed anti-gun and vitriol towards the NRA and Republicans long before the shooting at their school took place.

The recent marches against guns also suffered from a substantial amount of exaggeration as the Parkland activists claimed 800k to a million attendees while satellite estimates say the number was around 200k. Additionally, the media has continually assisted them in pushing a narrative that "just normal everyday people" and lots of students have finally gotten fed up and decided to come out because they want sensible gun laws. The crowd was surveyed by a sociologist Professor that specializes in political surveys, and she found that 89% of the D.C. attendees voted for Clinton. Most of the people had previously marched in a protest -- especially anti-gun protests. New or first-time marchers were actually very unlikely to say they were marching because of gun control. Most of them said they marched because of Trump and the current breakdown of our political system. Oh, and very few of them were under 18. Less than 10%. The average age was 49.

I am neither picking on Hogg or being unfair in my assessment of him. He's a political activist. He's not a child. He didn't almost die that day. He had a set narrative he was pushing before the injured and dead had even been carried out of the Freshman building. It is OK if you agree with Hogg and his tactics, but I don't think anyone here wants to play the naivety game. Hogg wants to strip away Constitutional rights from millions of innocent Americans while loudly complaining that his own Constitutional rights (or those of his fellow students) are being infringed upon. He's a leftist that believes some animals are more equal than others. Treating him like he's some naive kid pushed into doing something he doesn't want to do is actually quite insulting to him and those of us replying to you. You really believe he's just a naive kid trying to do good in the world or just like his politics?

Kory

Reaction score
He isn’t going to respond to any of us, Evan. He’s only good at chest thumping when the opportunity to look morally superior presents itself. Sort of like David Hogg.

Meanwhile, Hogg has now ramped up attacks on Senator McCain as he is recovering from a round of chemotherapy and radiation for advanced stages of brain cancer. What a respectable guy.

Kory

Reaction score
This all out assault by the left stream media and the Parkland activists on Laura Ingraham is out of fear. The left fears powerful, successful, conservative women. Case and point with Dana Loesch on CNN’s Townhall. Having a woman that doesn’t butt kiss the mouthpiece of hateful, vitriolic, radical hypocrites that are the Parkland activists is threatening to their movement. A movement which is propped up on ignorance and delusion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Logo 468x120
Back