• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
  • April 2024 Weather Video of the Month
    Post your nominations now!

Severe Weather 2024

JPWX

Reaction score
I'm definitely not a long range tornado expert and I'm geared towards hurricanes/tropical system long range forecasting because that's an easier linkage with ENSO etc. Severe weather and tornadoes are much more difficult to forecast well in advance.

Taylor Campbell

PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Model guidance has a strong signal for a system capable of severe weather Thursday, April 25th - Sunday, April 28th. The threat looks most likely in the Plains, Midwest, and Mid South regions.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Model guidance has a strong signal for a system capable of severe weather Thursday, April 25th - Sunday, April 28th. The threat looks most likely in the Plains, Midwest, and Mid South regions.
Yeah looking at medium n longer range , could get pretty interesting …. Spc agrees on their 4 to 8 day outlook they have this morning … with a day 7 already
Highlighted in the central plains ….

jiharris0220

Reaction score
It’s felt strange to me too. Can’t remember a year that’s been as boring and just…blah as it has this year.
2018 easily beats this year in terms of being fortunately boring so far.
Only 12 ef3s and not a single violent tornado. Had the record lowest amount of tornadic fatalities on record amazingly.
It’ll be nice if this year could break that record.

lake.effect

Reaction score
Even with recent hype - bust cycle, it's hard to not be a little excited for late next week after looking at the 18z model runs.
GFS in particular wants to sweep entire middle 1/3 of the country with 2 or 3 separate outbreaks.
Failure modes of recent events do not seem to be an issue. Cautiously optimistic and watching carefully...

Timhsv

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer

I agree. Kinda hard to ignore this signal 2 runs in a row so far. Look at that date as well. Time will tell as we've all seen this Spring.
1713579806508.png

Last edited:

MichelleH

Reaction score
Kinda hard to ignore this signal 2 runs in a row so far. Look at that date as well. Time will tell as we've all seen this Spring.
View attachment 25488

Apologies. I'm very tired and about to go to bed, but in my delirium it appeared that a giant ant in Mississippi is about to eat Alabama. And now you see it too. Ha! Good night and let's hope we don't have severe on THAT day please.

MichelleH

Reaction score
From SPC extended outlook:

On Saturday,
some model solutions suggest a large-scale upper-level trough will
develop over the southwestern U.S., with southwest mid-level flow
remaining in place over much of the south-central U.S. Although
spread among the solutions is somewhat large by Saturday, the models
suggest a moist and unstable airmass will be in place across parts
of the south-central states. Storms that develop within this airmass
would have potential to be severe. However, predictability at this
range remains too low to outlook a threat area.

jiharris0220

Reaction score
1713613029412.gif1713613051228.gif
Yet another multi day severe weather threat, I’d be more concerned about these. Parameters such as lapse rates and deep layer moisture are naturally much more significant in late April into May.
The subtropical jet becomes weaker and move’s more poleward during the late spring and onwards and won’t be restricting upper level moisture returns, and instead will aid in those.
And of course the tropopause rises as well during this time period, which allows for deeper convection and colder cloud tops. Rising air parcels have a lot more breathing room with a naturally higher Equilibrium layer.

lake.effect

Reaction score
View attachment 25492View attachment 25493
Yet another multi day severe weather threat, I’d be more concerned about these. Parameters such as lapse rates and deep layer moisture are naturally much more significant in late April into May.
The subtropical jet becomes weaker and move’s more poleward during the late spring and onwards and won’t be restricting upper level moisture returns, and instead will aid in those.
And of course the tropopause rises as well during this time period, which allows for deeper convection and colder cloud tops. Rising air parcels have a lot more breathing room with a naturally higher Equilibrium layer.
It's still early, but model consensus is pretty strong. April 25th-29th look to be the most active severe days of 2024.
In terms of raw severe weather output, the 00z GFS is one of the highest runs I can remember seeing.

Again, still plenty of time for things to change (and get disappointed, lol) but I think we will finally see something big happen next week.

JPWX

Reaction score
Logo 468x120
Back