• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER

2024 Tropical Cyclone season discussion

Reaction score
I don't think I have to explain myself or my thoughts. The January's I listed are the only ones where a tropical storm or greater DID NOT form in the western Pacific. I was making a observation on the lack of western Pacific activity thus far and THERE is a teleconnection of lack of western Pacific activity leading to greater activity in the Atlantic. I'm so sorry I didn't mention your list of years. I do my research and present my thoughts. That means I use and choose my own years that match up with current ENSO pattern.
@JPWX Yet in the italicised you just did, unless my eyes deceive me. If my post did not merit a response, then what is the point of further discussion?

At any rate, I was only mentioning that, to me at least, I did not see a correlation in terms of “hyperactive” ACE (you may be looking at named storms in both basins, and a correlation may well be apparent there). Based on your list of years, I do not see a strong correlation between the absence of West-Pacific storms in January and seasonal hyperactivity ACE-wise in the Atlantic. Personally, I consider ACE to be more meaningful an indicator in terms of how severe a season is, given that I feel the number of named storms in the Atlantic has been inflated since standards for classification were lowered by the early 2000s, thereby feeding certain narratives about climate change and TC activity that I find to be misleading.

If I am not mistaken, you could be correct in terms of named storms, and I could be correct in terms of ACE. We might be looking at different sides of the same problem.

Atlantic

Reaction score
The South Atlantic of all places trying to get in on the action of the Southern Hemisphere now:

View attachment 23889View attachment 23890View attachment 23891View attachment 23892View attachment 23893
Procuror front of the possible South Atlantic system
Tropical Storm Akara formed from the front above. It is the first fully tropical cyclone since Tropical Storm Iba 2019 in the South Atlantic. NOAA is tracking Akara at the time of this writing:

Screenshot 2024-02-20 9.19.16 AM.png

and a current view of Tropical Storm Akara:

Screenshot 2024-02-20 9.20.54 AM.png

The Brazilian Navy has the intensity of Akara at 50 mph currently.

JBishopwx

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Here is a link to the changes with more details: https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/pdf/NHC_New_Products_Updates_2024.pdf
-Expansion of Spanish products,
-Issuance of U.S. watches and warnings on Intermediate advisories:
- Extension of tropical storm (39 mph, 34 kt) and 58 mph, 50 kt)) wind radii forecasts to days 4 and 5:
-Weblinks in the Public Advisory:
-Change to the time zone reference in the eastern Pacific
-Experimental Cone Graphic with a depiction of inland watches and warnings for the United States
-Experimental international tropical cyclone rainfall graphics:
-New Marine Forecast Product “Offshore Waters Forecast for the southwestern North Atlantic Ocean

Atlantic

Reaction score
The tropics have gone quiet ahead of the SHEM's peak season. With the NHEM no storms are expected still as of now. Now even NOAA is starting to say the Atlantic may be very active this year, and their forecast for the season (which releases in May) hasn't even arrived yet.

Back