• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER

Svr Wx Event - April 15-17, 2024

jiharris0220

Reaction score
The qlcs behind the cell has areas of rotation all along its front. It would certainly be something if all tornadoes came from a squall than discrete cells from this event.

jiharris0220

Reaction score
It would be very 2024.
Yea, the cell is kinda starting to defecate now. Not exactly sure why though, perhaps lower lapse rates to the east. So far the conditional threat has leaned towards the “nothing happens” side.
Wouldn’t be surprised to see the qlcs produce a surprise mini outbreak if the parameter space remains volatile.

Tanner

Reaction score
Lapse rates and dry air entrainment are definitely the storm killers. It's trying to "procreate" right now. It's amazing how we're in mid April and talking about a seemingly rare plains setup having doodoo lapse rates.

jiharris0220

Reaction score
Still too early to make a clear statement but this event went about as forecasted. Wind and hail verified to no one’s surprise, or care.
And the tornado threat thankfully will be nothing more than a forgotten memory. Of course this easily could’ve gone either way. The 10%hatched was the right call considering these circumstances, as it was merely a “just in case” risk.

And I agree with your assertion Tanner, it’s quite amazing how utter sh&t the lapse rates have been this year, it’s like the air simply doesn’t want to rise and cool.

jiharris0220

Reaction score
I’m gonna play devils advocate and say I’m not impressed at all with tomorrow’s set up.
Barely semi discrete storm mode, numerous junk storms, and quite pathetic looking super cells.
I’ll be surprised to see a moderate risk come out of this, despite the moderately impressive kinematics.

Tanner

Reaction score
There's something that I don't understand. Or rather mets here may know. Why are low level lapse rates so low across much of the eastern US even here in mid April this year? It seems like a common trend with events this year. Looking back on the mesoscale analysis, even during mid-late afternoon hours, the LLLR's were still barely above 6 c/km.

Logo 468x120
Back