• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER

Significant Tornado Events - Global Edition

Reaction score
That's a likely possibility. I do note no one on that FB thread has called out the original poster on their BS yet. How would they respond?
bec
Which is why you must never issue a tornado warning on April fool's day. And if it is warranted TAKE IT SERIOUSLY.

TH2002

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
That is very high end F4 level damage, Possibly F5
It's hard to say with any level of certainty since ratings for tornadoes in that part of the world are extremely unreliable and the construction quality of most buildings is also extremely poor, but I will say the complete debarking of trees in the first photo definitely points to a higher end event. It is listed as an F4 on the Tornado Archive which seems very much warranted.

Reaction score
It's hard to say with any level of certainty since ratings for tornadoes in that part of the world are extremely unreliable and the construction quality of most buildings is also extremely poor, but I will say the complete debarking of trees in the first photo definitely points to a higher end event. It is listed as an F4 on the Tornado Archive which seems very much warranted.
That is what is so interesting about these international tornadoes, they have a mythical aura around them, some that we must figure out

maksimwx980

Reaction score
Hey everyone, Ivanovo man here, been quite a while but I've made some decent progress on my June 8-9 1984 Soviet Storm Complex as I call it, and its June 9th Soviet Tornado Outbreak. I've been quite busy with school and I'm about to enter the final season so I will be even more busy however I will continue to work on this project slowly in my free time, trying to accomplish something big enough to present on the 40th anniversary this summer. So far I've completed detailed tracks of some tornadoes that had visible windfall/treefall using 1985 satellite data on Google Earth Pro to the best of my ability. I also began a source collector where I compile links and take notes below each source link. Thanks MNTornadoGuy for providing satellite tracks back in Feb to inspire my analysis. Tornado reports on the map come from the ESWD and Finch & Bikos 2012, soon I will add more from other sources ive found and make more tracks if possible.1712626184451.png1712626373996.png1712626392581.png1712626407359.png1712626422905.png1712626438005.png1712626458129.png1712626547840.png1712626592902.png1712626610238.png

maksimwx980

Reaction score
Hey everyone, Ivanovo man here, been quite a while but I've made some decent progress on my June 8-9 1984 Soviet Storm Complex as I call it, and its June 9th Soviet Tornado Outbreak. I've been quite busy with school and I'm about to enter the final season so I will be even more busy however I will continue to work on this project slowly in my free time, trying to accomplish something big enough to present on the 40th anniversary this summer. So far I've completed detailed tracks of some tornadoes that had visible windfall/treefall using 1985 satellite data on Google Earth Pro to the best of my ability. I also began a source collector where I compile links and take notes below each source link. Thanks MNTornadoGuy for providing satellite tracks back in Feb to inspire my analysis. Tornado reports on the map come from the ESWD and Finch & Bikos 2012, soon I will add more from other sources ive found and make more tracks if possible.View attachment 25221View attachment 25223View attachment 25224View attachment 25225View attachment 25226View attachment 25227View attachment 25228View attachment 25229View attachment 25230View attachment 25231
feel free to ask questions or requests to zoom in on any tracks, also FYI I have old used google earths landsat display because the Landsat website is very confusing plus I have to make a special account which is annoying but higher res imagery would be cool to see

maksimwx980

Reaction score
Yes I know this paper I've read it a few times and once I reach it on my to-do list I'll use its data more thoroughly
however, I do not have access to the Science Direct version since it is paywalled but apparently supplementary data was put into the Science Direct version

A Guy

Reaction score
@maksimwx980 you might also want to give Sentinel Hub a go, I've found it better for viewing Landsat than the actual Landsat viewer, though you might still need to log in to get certain functions.

The old, now defunct Landsat viewer (LandLook) had a couple of contrast enhancement options that were very good for viewing tornado tracks, but unfortunately I haven't been able to replicate them in Sentinel Hub (I'm not sure of the technical details). The current Landsat viewer is very limited.

A Guy

Reaction score
Yup. This was the longest tracked tornado in the history of France. Now there is a bit of a discrepancy because the ESWD has it listed at 91 miles, which isn't quite as insane, but is still extremely impressive. I'm not sure what the longest-tracked European tornado is, but this one has got to be up there.
Do you think this one was a continuous path? I have read/translated the Kerounos report and it's hard to tell. They seem to have been working under the assumption it was one tornado rather than a family and so have connected the damage locations up as such, without considering the possibility of a tornado family and straight-line winds. The ESWD cites a Belgian website who looked at the NW end the track, but say they also received testimony and photographs from Dutch storm chasers who claimed the tornado that actually hit Bihucourt formed only shortly before the village. The ESWD now lists the tornado as five tornadoes with path lengths of 45, 11, 30, 15 and 15 km respectively. But I'm not sure if that leaves gaps, and aside from the language barrier I don't think the documentation sufficiently discerning to tell.

Last edited:

buckeye05

Reaction score
China's first tornado of the year confirmed. EF2 rating, and four fatalities unfortunately, including three from people being sucked out of high-rise buildings. Absolutely terrifying. Only other incident of that happening I know of was at St. John's Medical Center in Joplin.

buckeye05

Reaction score
Do you think this one was a continuous path? I have read/translated the Kerounos report and it's hard to tell. They seem to have been working under the assumption is was one tornado rather than a family and so have connected the damage locations up as such, without considering the possibility of a tornado family and straight-line winds. The ESWD cites a Belgian website who looked at the NW end the track, but say they also received testimony and photographs from Dutch storm chasers who claimed the tornado that actually hit Bihucourt formed only shortly before the village. The ESWD now lists the tornado as five tornadoes with path lengths of 45, 11, 30, 15 and 15 km respectively. But I'm not sure if that leaves gaps, and aside from the language barrier I don't think the documentation sufficiently discerning to tell.
To be honest, I've been a little bit skeptical about the original path length, and didn't know it had since been split up into five separate tornadoes, Makes sense though. I used Google maps to track the path through the different villages it hit, and there were a lot of long gaps where it hit nothing but fields and caused no damage, leaving plenty of areas for breaks in the damage path. If ESWD says it was five, I believe them.

zvl5316

Reaction score
Foshan Tornado Research Center and China Meteorological Administration just released the annual review of tornadoes in China in 2023. A total of 56 tornadoes on land get confirmed. The most noticeable part is the outbreak hit eastern China on 9/19. Two EF3s were included in the total number of 9 tornadoes and unluckily 10 were perished.Screenshot 2024-04-17 084616.png

Back