• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
  • April 2024 Weather Video of the Month
    Post your nominations now!

Severe Weather Threat - May 6, 2024

wx_guy

Reaction score
HAM Callsign
KO4ZGH
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
  2. ARRL Member
So I just *randomly* picked one location/point inside a large area of maxed-out STP on the color scale in central Oklahoma from the 13z HRRR. The STP (CIN) -- which is what the SARS analogs and bar plots use, is almost 14. To put that in perspective, there's only 3 soundings out of nearly 1900 in the SARS analog databased with a higher STP (and if it goes much higher, it'll eclipse even those). So we are in increasingly rarified air if these forecasts verify...

1715006247214.png

Maxis_s

Reaction score
So I just *randomly* picked one location/point inside a large area of maxed-out STP on the color scale in central Oklahoma from the 13z HRRR. The STP (CIN) -- which is what the SARS analogs and bar plots use, is almost 14. To put that in perspective, there's only 3 soundings out of nearly 1900 in the SARS analog databased with a higher STP (and if it goes much higher, it'll eclipse even those). So we are in increasingly rarified air if these forecasts verify...

View attachment 26389
A lot of areas even exceed STP 14, going as much as up to 25, although only cherry-picked soundings are going past 20. Still incredible.

warneagle

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Yeah this kind of environment at 10 pm is really worrisome (especially since the LLJ will still be increasing and the window for supercells will still be open for a few hours).

warneagle

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer

View attachment 26389
Man, if you gave me a pencil and said “draw me a skew-T and a hodograph for a violent tornado” I might not draw something that good.

warneagle

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Important note as we discuss today's event. While obviously a lot of concern regards supercellular activity, in environments like these, QLCS tors can be just as dangerous, especially after dark.

I wonder if they might consider expanding the MDT north/east a bit to potentially account for some of the QLCS tornado risk.