• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER

Severe Weather Threat - June 11th-15th, 2023

buckeye05

Reaction score
The Oak Harbor EF2 was given a wind-speed estimate of 130 MPH, placing it in the high-end EF2 range, which makes it the strongest Ohio tornado of the year so far, on a 0% day none the less. I wonder what damage indicator made them go with 130 MPH?

Also interestingly, Ohio's strongest tornado last year (Goshen 7/6/2022) was also a high-end EF2, and was ALSO on a 0% day! This is why I'm constantly on alert even on marginal days with no apparent tornado threat.

OHWX97

Reaction score
The Oak Harbor EF2 was given a wind-speed estimate of 130 MPH, placing it in the high-end EF2 range, which makes it the strongest Ohio tornado of the year so far, on a 0% day none the less. I wonder what damage indicator made them go with 130 MPH?

Also interestingly, Ohio's strongest tornado last year (Goshen 7/6/2022) was also a high-end EF2, and was ALSO on a 0% day! This is why I'm constantly on alert even on marginal days with no apparent tornado threat.
FYI, the Point Place tornado from yesterday was rated EF2, winds also estimated at 130mph.

OHWX97

Reaction score
I'm assuming that's based on that brick building that had its second floor totally destroyed. Rest of the damage seemed minor to moderate.
You're referring to this building, correct? The tornado certainly appeared to have peaked in intensity at this point.
FyvkubWWIAEhFGm.jpg

I'm trying to think of the last time multiple significant tornadoes were produced from a single supercell in northern Ohio. August 24, 2016 perhaps? Obviously, the Great Lakes region have had a number of historic tornado events, but that seems to have become a less common occurrence in recent decades. Hopefully that trend continues, but I can't but worry that they're overdue.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Smoke Rise, AL (25 mi. N of downtown Birmingham)
Blount Co. storm has some healthy rotation.
Does anyone recall whether this storm was ever showing signs of rotation in the Smoke Rise area of SW Blount County early on Wednesday afternoon? We have substantial tree damage in the area, but it is spotty, follows a "path" in some locations, and abruptly cuts off. For example, I have no significant tree damage on my property, but starting next door there are big trees and limbs down. We had no power for 20 hours. I know some neighbors reached out to James Spann about a possible brief spin-up tornado, but he said it was all straight-line winds. Maybe terrain features localized stronger winds? Very hilly area that straddles a wedge-shaped "mountain."

Clancy

Reaction score
Does anyone recall whether this storm was ever showing signs of rotation in the Smoke Rise area of SW Blount County early on Wednesday afternoon? We have substantial tree damage in the area, but it is spotty, follows a "path" in some locations, and abruptly cuts off. For example, I have no significant tree damage on my property, but starting next door there are big trees and limbs down. We had no power for 20 hours. I know some neighbors reached out to James Spann about a possible brief spin-up tornado, but he said it was all straight-line winds. Maybe terrain features localized stronger winds? Very hilly area that straddles a wedge-shaped "mountain."
Don't know for sure but it would've packed plenty of straight-line winds regardless of any tornadic potential.

buckeye05

Reaction score
One of the two twin tornadoes near Perryton has been rated EF2. Another EF2 has been confirmed in Pensacola Beach, and I'm a bit surprised, as it looked like the couplet avoided populated areas, but I guess it didn't. I need to remember that the placement of a couplet isn't an exact representation of where the tornado is located. Lesson learned.

OHWX97

Reaction score
The northern Ohio supercell on the 15th now has nine confirmed tornadoes. Three EF2's, three EF1's, and three EF0's. Both the Peru Township EF2 and North Fairfield EF1 were very large tornadoes, estimated widths exceeding a half-mile wide.

buckeye05

Reaction score
Tulsa is about to get absolutely raked by some destructive straight line winds. Velocities look scary and warning text says 90 MPH winds are possible.

Sawmaster

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
A different perspective (re-post)

Just after hitting Point Place. Measured winds 148MPH which maxxed out their anemometer

Logo 468x120
Back