• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
  • April 2024 Weather Video of the Month
    Post your nominations now!

Severe Weather Threat 4/27-4/28, 2024 - (Saturday, Sunday)

Fred Gossage

PerryW Project Supporter
Meteorologist
Reaction score
I'm fairly certain that the ongoing circulation moving out of Delaware County, OK into northwest AR and southwest MO is the same mesocyclone that produced the violent Sulphur/Holdenville OK activity during the evening. That's the remnant mesocyclone embedded within the QLCS.

WesL

"Bill, I'm talkin' imminent rueage"
Administrator
Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
I'm fairly certain that the ongoing circulation moving out of Delaware County, OK into northwest AR and southwest MO is the same mesocyclone that produced the violent Sulphur/Holdenville OK activity during the evening. That's the remnant mesocyclone embedded within the QLCS.
Waiting for it to peacefully pass.

Fred Gossage

PerryW Project Supporter
Meteorologist
Reaction score
I've yet to see any confirmed reports of fatalities from either outbreak in this sequence so far. Assuming that holds true, if that's not a testament to the overall warning process and the public response to it given the ferocity of what has happened, then I don't know what is. Even with today's technology, Friday alone easily could've been a day with dozens of fatalities, not to mention the after dark significant tornadoes striking towns in southern Oklahoma on Saturday evening...

Reaction score
But yes I’d say a strong EF3 candidate. Whole building is flattened. Grocery stores and large retail stores have no interior walls though, so likely not an EF4 candidate.
I am sorry to bother you with this but a large isolated retail building that is completely destroyed has an expected value of 173 mph which is EF4. However, do you see any kind of contextual damage around the building to support that rating? The Taco Bell in Winchester, Indiana according to the EF-SCALE had a expected value of 171 mph which is also EF4 but I am going to assume the lack of context surrounding the building supported a high-end EF3 rating.

buckeye05

Reaction score
In terms of last night’s event, most of the damage reports seem to be coming out of Sulphur and Marietta. Not hearing much from Ardmore or Dickson, but I’d be surprised if there isn’t at least moderate damage in both of those areas. I suspect there will likely be major damage found in rural areas near Holdenville too.

buckeye05

Reaction score
I am sorry to bother you with this but a large isolated retail building that is completely destroyed has an expected value of 173 mph which is EF4. However, do you see any kind of contextual damage around the building to support that rating? The Taco Bell in Winchester, Indiana according to the EF-SCALE had a expected value of 171 mph which is also EF4 but I am going to assume the lack of context surrounding the building supported a high-end EF3 rating.
I found closer photos of the grocery store. I was wrong; large parts of it are still standing. We can rule out EF4, and probably high-end EF3 too. Nothing crazy context wise either, but some semis were thrown around and stacked on top of each other nearby.
IMG_7148.jpeg
IMG_7149.jpeg
IMG_7150.jpeg
And again, the Taco Bell having no interior walls was a bigger reason for EF3 in Winchester than contextual issues.

Fred Gossage

PerryW Project Supporter
Meteorologist
Reaction score
In terms of last night’s event, most of the damage reports seem to be coming out of Sulphur and Marietta. Not hearing much from Ardmore or Dickson, but I’d be surprised if there isn’t at least moderate damage in both of those areas. I suspect there will likely be major damage found in rural areas near Holdenville too.
I saw one Twitter report of a chaser in Dickson saying that a few homes had been flattened and that search and rescue was ongoing in the area. Other than that, I've yet to see much come out of there.

buckeye05

Reaction score
I saw one Twitter report of a chaser in Dickson saying that a few homes had been flattened and that search and rescue was ongoing in the area. Other than that, I've yet to see much come out of there.
Yikes. If houses are flattened there it’s definitely worse than moderate damage. Probably won’t know the true severity until daylight, but that sounds bad.

I’m really surprised at the lack of reports from Ardmore. Based on Google maps, it went through an industrial area with large factory buildings and warehouses.

Reaction score
I found closer photos of the grocery store. I was wrong; large parts of it are still standing. We can rule out EF4, and probably high-end EF3 too. Nothing crazy context wise either, but some semis were thrown around and stacked on top of each other nearby.
View attachment 26029
View attachment 26026
View attachment 26027
And again, the Taco Bell having no interior walls was a bigger reason for EF3 in Winchester than contextual issues.
Nevermind what I said. I see what you are talking about.

Last edited:
Back