• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER

Severe WX Severe Threat 8/7/23

JBishopwx

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Fine time for State College, PA radar to be down with a tornado-warned supercell right next to it. Nearest alternative radar is Pittsburgh and that's hitting the storm at like 14,000'.
Knoxville also.

TheSuckZone

Reaction score
Fine time for State College, PA radar to be down with a tornado-warned supercell right next to it. Nearest alternative radar is Pittsburgh and that's hitting the storm at like 14,000'.
Radar down in the middle of a severe weather event? I am shocked I tell you...

TH2002

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Thought my mind was playing tricks on me at first, but thanks for confirming. Just freakin' wonderful to know the radar-borne epidemic of Radarus Inoperabilius is showing no signs of slowing...
53qf9x.jpg

warneagle

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
All of the federal offices are dismissing at 3 so I’m hitting the bricks before the trains get crowded. I guess everybody up here is getting the experience of a tornado day. They looked at me like I had two heads when I explained that this was a normal thing at home lol

warneagle

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Looks like the supercells that are popping in western MD and eastern WV are growing upscale pretty quickly. The intermediate balloon from Roanoke shows plenty of CAPE and impressive LLLRs but the wind profile is pretty unidirectional. The window for discrete convection might be pretty small.

I know the NWS offices up here sent up balloons at 2 but they’re not showing up on the SPC archive yet.

JBishopwx

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
NWS needs to work with private weather companies or something to provide back up radar systems.
I'm sure GWX is about to go down again since a storm just passed by.

warneagle

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
The sun has been out here for at least an hour straight which is...concerning even if the dynamics aren't favorable for tornadoes. We also got a lot of rain last night and I don't think it will take a lot of wind to bring down a lot of trees here, especially when we're still repairing infrastructure from the downburst we got last Saturday. I'm not that worried about my neighborhood because all of our utility lines are buried but a lot of the area where they're above ground lost power for hours/days last week.

warneagle

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Well I take that back, there's a pretty healthy-looking supercell right on the MD/PA line south of Gettysburg. Rotation isn't that tight though.

Logo 468x120
Back