• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
  • April 2024 Weather Video of the Month
    Post your nominations now!

Severe Thread: 5/13-17

Reaction score
We had a tornado warning in the Milwaukee area earlier; guessing as that vigorous cell that fired just east of me encountered some sort of lake-influenced boundary. Velocity did not look too impressive when I peeked at it, though and I haven't heard of any reports coming of it.

andyhb

Meteorologist
Reaction score
The aftermath in Houston right now legitimately reminds me of Hurricane Ike there. That was no ordinary damaging wind event that basically bullseyed the metro.

Bevo

Reaction score
The aftermath in Houston right now legitimately reminds me of Hurricane Ike there. That was no ordinary damaging wind event that basically bullseyed the metro.
Interesting that you mention that — I just saw this:

Estimated to have 1/3rd of the county without power…with temps supposed to spike this weekend, I hope it can be restored quickly or cooling centers opened up in spaces that do have power.

Clancy

Reaction score
Yeah, MCS or not, I wouldn't write off the areas away from the Gulf Coast tomorrow.
Really befuddling how bookended models have been with regard to convective evolution, they've been showing either a nothing-burger for anywhere away from the Gulf Coast or a potentially nasty setup across much of the South and going from one to the other almost every run.

Maxis_s

Reaction score
Really befuddling how bookended models have been with regard to convective evolution, they've been showing either a nothing-burger for anywhere away from the Gulf Coast or a potentially nasty setup across much of the South and going from one to the other almost every run.
My guess is that Nebraska will have another 260mph EF1

warneagle

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
A friend from my golf group lives down there now and said his family told him it sounded like a tornado and the ground was shaking etc. Thankfully they’re okay

wx_guy

Reaction score
HAM Callsign
KO4ZGH
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
  2. ARRL Member
13z update hints at (some) possibility of later upgrade to ENH in the South today, if uncertainties can be removed:

Thunderstorms in the expanding warm sector, and along the front,
should pose a risk for a few tornadoes, along with large hail and
severe gusts, this afternoon into tonight. The main uncertainty at
this time is coverage, and by which preferred mechanism the greatest
lift will occur (related concepts). Warm-frontal passage and
diurnal heating will combine to destabilize the airmass inland from
southwest-northeast today, with upper 60s to mid 70s F surface
dewpoints. This will yield MLCAPE in the 2000-3500 J/kg range,
beneath 45-60 kt effective-shear magnitudes, once surface-based
parcels are attained. A more-focused area of severe potential may
develop within the lengthy corridor outlooked, particularly near the
inland-shifting baroclinic zone where low-level shear should be
maximized. However, mesoscale uncertainties are still too large to
introduce greater unconditional severe probabilities at this time.