• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
  • April 2024 Weather Video of the Month
    Post your nominations now!

Severe WX March 23-25th, 2023

Timhsv

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
1679876530136.png
Here's another key ingredient to the formation of supercells. Look at those 500mb height falls coming into Arkansas .....120 meters ,and already 60 meters across N.
Mississippi.

locomusic01

Reaction score
I think that, the manhole covers, and maybe the medical center?

What’s crazy is I believe Joplin ripped one of the Parking stops out of the parking lot and it was found so many meters away.
Tim Marshall & Co assigned an EF5 rating to 22 houses in Joplin. And yeah, a ton of parking stops were twisted off their anchors and tossed all around the area. I don't wanna go off-topic with photos here but I think I made a post about it somewhere in the Significant Tornadoes thread.

I dunno about this particular case, but in many cases the stops aren't actually anchored. In Joplin most of them were secured with anchors that are basically like lag bolts made out of half-inch rebar, and you could see where the anchors had been twisted in opposite directions as the stops were torn away.

ColdFront

Reaction score
Tim Marshall & Co assigned an EF5 rating to 22 houses in Joplin. And yeah, a ton of parking stops were twisted off their anchors and tossed all around the area. I don't wanna go off-topic with photos here but I think I made a post about it somewhere in the Significant Tornadoes thread.

I dunno about this particular case, but in many cases the stops aren't actually anchored. In Joplin most of them were secured with anchors that are basically like lag bolts made out of half-inch rebar, and you could see where the anchors had been twisted in opposite directions as the stops were torn away.
That absolutely blows my mind that they found 22 homes to meet their strict criteria, I always kind of looked at those “well built homes” as unicorns. I’ll do some research on that.

locomusic01

Reaction score
That absolutely blows my mind that they found 22 homes to meet their strict criteria, I always kind of looked at those “well built homes” as unicorns. I’ll do some research on that.
Here's the paper on their survey. Worth noting that this was 22 homes out of 7,200 in total that were surveyed, so still rather selective lol. They mention some of the other contextual indicators of extreme winds very near the surface but officially didn't assign EF5 to any other DIs besides those houses.

Brice

Reaction score
Here's the paper on their survey. Worth noting that this was 22 homes out of 7,200 in total that were surveyed, so still rather selective lol. They mention some of the other contextual indicators of extreme winds very near the surface but officially didn't assign EF5 to any other DIs besides those houses.
Thought y’all were talking about rolling fork, until I saw it was about Joplin, almost made me pass out.

ColdFront

Reaction score
Just like with Mayfield, the Rolling Fork EF4 was not in a PDS Tornado Watch. Why is the SPC cutting back on issuing PDS watches?
Someone posted an excellent tweet from someone at the NWS basically talking about how they’re a little hesitant on high risks and only want to put them out when a high end outbreak is not only possible, but probable as to not desensitize the Public.

On the matter of PDS, I don’t think the probabilities met the criteria for it. They issued TOREs in excellent time though. There was some debate that Paducah/NWS was late on the Mayfield TORE. I would put more stock in the fact they were on top of it, even when the rolling fork cell was a bit of distance away from the radar and got the warnings out right away.

Reaction score
I’m surprised there haven’t been any new additions to the dat for march 24th. Why do they post a few points and then just don’t update it for a full day or so?

JBishopwx

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
I’m surprised there haven’t been any new additions to the dat for march 24th. Why do they post a point points and then just don’t update it for a full day or so?
My guess is they haven't gotten around to it today, especially since we had another severe event.

Reaction score
Also does anyone know where Wikipedia is getting these stats from for this tornado? As far as I know nws Jackson hasn’t made an update and nobody else has mentioned it. These stats have been up for some time too

Attachments

• D705FF2A-6AB4-44B5-9D72-A16F575AD2B4.jpeg
    D705FF2A-6AB4-44B5-9D72-A16F575AD2B4.jpeg
    172.2 KB · Views: 0

JBishopwx

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer

TH2002

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Planet has released aerial imagery of Rolling Fork. Definitely some structures (duplex, beauty supply store, salon and a few homes) swept off their foundations along with some moderate wind rowing on the northeastern edge of town. While I don't think this tornado is an EF5 candidate, I believe it probably had EF5 winds at some point.

(Click for full resolution)
1679841479379.jpg

Reaction score
Planet has released aerial imagery of Rolling Fork. Definitely some structures (duplex, beauty supply store, salon and a few homes) swept off their foundations along with some moderate wind rowing on the northeastern edge of town. While I don't think this tornado is an EF5 candidate, I believe it probably had EF5 winds at some point.

1679841479379.jpg
Agreed. This was no ef5 in the terms that is can be rated such. But it is definitely a solid low to mid range ef4

pohnpei

Reaction score

1679841479379.jpg
yeah, other than north portion area of the town. The damage in Indian bayou area also strong.
Other than very severe debarking, the amount of vehicles tossed and carried out here was also impressive.
IMG_20230327_104942.jpgIMG_20230327_105030.jpgIMG_20230327_105054.jpgIMG_20230327_105538.jpg

Also severe damage outside of the town to northeast position.
image-176.pngimage-324.png

Back