• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER

Historic tornado videos missing from youtube/the internet?

Reaction score
Was doing some digging for a post regarding the Ringgold-Apison tornado in the SigTor thread. While doing so, I came across this screenshot from a video that, low and behold, seems to no longer exist on the website it was originally posted to:
61a6df273dfb8.image.jpg
Just got the chance to speak with Katie (the videographer of the footage) herself! She was kindly enough to answer my questions on what she saw that day. She said that 15-year-old katie first went out with her video camera to record lighting, and later take screenshots to share online. But, mid recording, she noticed a large close and began to record in that direction. When lighting flashed more and the cloud approached she and her mother realized the cloud was a tornado. so, they ran inside. thankfully, their property only received minimal damage and no one was hurt. The bad news is though, the only photos she has from her old devices is on facebook, which doesn’t include her tornado footage. I’m gonna try to contact the news station next though! Special thanks to Katie for responding to my message and being so nice about the whole thing: IMG_6376.jpeg

Reaction score
Just got the chance to speak with Katie (the videographer of the footage) herself! She was kindly enough to answer my questions on what she saw that day. She said that 15-year-old katie first went out with her video camera to record lighting, and later take screenshots to share online. But, mid recording, she noticed a large close and began to record in that direction. When lighting flashed more and the cloud approached she and her mother realized the cloud was a tornado. so, they ran inside. thankfully, their property only received minimal damage and no one was hurt. The bad news is though, the only photos she has from her old devices is on facebook, which doesn’t include her tornado footage. I’m gonna try to contact the news station next though! Special thanks to Katie for responding to my message and being so nice about the whole thing: View attachment 22636
Believe it or not, Katie actually was kind enough to share some unbelievable screenshots she took back in 2011 from her footage. Here they are!! You can see power flashes and more illuminating the twister:IMG_6377.jpegIMG_6378.jpegIMG_6379.jpegIMG_6380.jpegIMG_6379.jpegIMG_6381.jpegIMG_6382.jpegIMG_6383.jpeg

TH2002

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Believe it or not, Katie actually was kind enough to share some unbelievable screenshots she took back in 2011 from her footage. Here they are!! You can see power flashes and more illuminating the twister:View attachment 22644View attachment 22645View attachment 22646View attachment 22647View attachment 22646View attachment 22648View attachment 22649View attachment 22650
I really hope that news station can dig up the video because those screenshots are incredible. Anyhow, don't mind telling Katie I give her a HUGE thanks!

eric11

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
  2. ARRL Member
Not sure this vid was ever shared, even the tornado was ever mentioned, but the Rugh Lake EF3 might just as violent as Northwood EF4 on the same day, the motion was like Manchester at its mature stage

eric11

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
  2. ARRL Member

interesting wizard-oz like tornado in 1996, note how violent the motion was when it began to occlude, a lot like Dalton EF4

Hayden09

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
I am trying to find footage of Walnut 1995. Tornadic Wonder you know what im talking about lol

buckeye05

Reaction score
I'm looking for a video that was taken from inside a metal industrial building while it was being destroyed by the 2014 Columbia, MS EF3. In the video, the camera man drops the camera and it records the ceiling, and you can actually see the progressive failure of the metal beams as the building collapses. Anyone know the one I'm talking about.

Reaction score

TH2002

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
I don’t think that’s the video he’s thinking of since the video you posted is from the 2019 Columbia tornado rather than the 2014 EF3. I made a post on the SigTor thread back in May 2021 about the December 2014 outbreak and I recall I could only find two videos from that event, but neither of them are the video buckeye is describing. Since my only source for tornado footage was YT back then I’ll have to dig around on some other sites when I get home.

Reaction score
I don’t think that’s the video he’s thinking of since the video you posted is from the 2019 Columbia tornado rather than the 2014 EF3. I made a post on the SigTor thread back in May 2021 about the December 2014 outbreak and I recall I could only find two videos from that event, but neither of them are the video buckeye is describing. Since my only source for tornado footage was YT back then I’ll have to dig around on some other sites when I get home.
Whoops! My bad. For some reason it was labelled 2014 on the page I found it on.
Man, this video sounds familiar.

TH2002

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
I'm looking for a video that was taken from inside a metal industrial building while it was being destroyed by the 2014 Columbia, MS EF3. In the video, the camera man drops the camera and it records the ceiling, and you can actually see the progressive failure of the metal beams as the building collapses. Anyone know the one I'm talking about.
Is this the Columbia video?

buckeye05

Reaction score
Unfortunately no neither of those are the video. It was recorded out of a bay door in a blue industrial building, and there’s a vehicle with its lights on getting blasted by winds visible. When the camera drops you can see structural beams collapsing.

TH2002

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Unfortunately no neither of those are the video. It was recorded out of a bay door in a blue industrial building, and there’s a vehicle with its lights on getting blasted by winds visible. When the camera drops you can see structural beams collapsing.
Are you positive it was the 12/23/14 Columbia event? Was the tornado rain-wrapped? In addition, what site do you recall seeing it on?

buckeye05

Reaction score
Are you positive it was the 12/23/14 Columbia event? Was the tornado rain-wrapped? In addition, what site do you recall seeing it on?
It was 100% Columbia 2014, and yeah it was totally rain wrapped in the video, which shows just a total whiteout before the building collapses. It was actually posted here, on the old forum though I believe.

Another detail, if you go to the “Tornadoes of 2014” wiki page, the destroyed blue metal building shown in the picture next to the write-up on the Columbia tornado event, is the actual building the video was recorded from inside of.

Also I remember the camera man going “whooooo!!” right before the building gets torn apart lol.

I’m surprised it’s become another tornado “white whale” video because it’s pretty incredible and made the rounds on social media. Maybe it’s buried somewhere in Twitter?

TH2002

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
It was 100% Columbia 2014, and yeah it was totally rain wrapped in the video, which shows just a total whiteout before the building collapses. It was actually posted here, on the old forum though I believe.

Another detail, if you go to the “Tornadoes of 2014” wiki page, the destroyed blue metal building shown in the picture next to the write-up on the Columbia tornado event, is the actual building the video was recorded from inside of.

Also I remember the camera man going “whooooo!!” right before the building gets torn apart lol.

I’m surprised it’s become another tornado “white whale” video because it’s pretty incredible and made the rounds on social media. Maybe it’s buried somewhere in Twitter?
Found it!

pohnpei

Reaction score
Found it!
I want to ask that is it possible to find several Hackleburg tornado damage aerial footages that deleted years ago ? There were still Hackleburg tornado aerials on youtube now but I clearly remembered I used have watched three or four part of aerial damage footage coverd from Hackleburg to Tanner area on youtube many years ago.

Back