• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER

2023 Political Thread

Mike S

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
If Haley and DeSantis cared at all about this country and the GOP they'd combine forces and run as a POTUS/VP ticket. That would mean one swallowing their pride to take the VP slot, but that seems to be the only shot.

A decent 3rd party candidate could do some serious damage this year.

Jacob

Reaction score
If Haley and DeSantis cared at all about this country and the GOP they'd combine forces and run as a POTUS/VP ticket. That would mean one swallowing their pride to take the VP slot, but that seems to be the only shot.

A decent 3rd party candidate could do some serious damage this year.

From my perspective, Haley has seemingly been running to be Trump’s VP anyhow, so I’d be surprised if that happened.

Mike S

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
I also am very disappointed in Katie Britt coming out in full support of Donald Trump, after treading water regarding him for some time. I voted for her. Once. Not again.

Jacob

Reaction score
I also am very disappointed in Katie Britt coming out in full support of Donald Trump, after treading water regarding him for some time. I voted for her. Once. Not again.

It’s absurd how many Republican politicians are endorsing him because they are too chicken to come out against him.

Jacob

Reaction score
DeSantis drops out.

This race is dead to me now. I just hope the Republicans don't get destroyed down ballot too bad, but we all know that's coming too.

Mike S

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
I'll vote for Haley assuming she's around in the primary here.

I have been known to vote in Democratic primaries when there are races on that side I care about and candidates I can stomach.

In November it will be Haley, if nominated, or a Libertarian if they can avoid a loon (which they have trouble doing sometimes) or I'll write in Marooned. One of these days I'll get him elected!

Mike S

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
One more thing - I keep getting told that a vote for a 3rd party candidate or a no vote is a vote for Biden. IMO, a vote for Trump is a vote for Biden because I don't think Trump is electable. Desantis and Haley were/are the only real options I think.

Jacob

Reaction score
One more thing - I keep getting told that a vote for a 3rd party candidate or a no vote is a vote for Biden. IMO, a vote for Trump is a vote for Biden because I don't think Trump is electable. Desantis and Haley were/are the only real options I think.

I would probably hold my nose and vote for Haley if she gets the nomination, but Republicans like her are the reason we ended up with somebody like Trump to begin with.

Mike S

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
I would probably hold my nose and vote for Haley if she gets the nomination, but Republicans like her are the reason we ended up with somebody like Trump to begin with.

I get where you're coming from, but I think we got Trump because of Obama, or maybe a combination of Obama and Republicans who care about being liked more than governing.

Jacob

Reaction score
I get where you're coming from, but I think we got Trump because of Obama, or maybe a combination of Obama and Republicans who care about being liked more than governing.

I think it’s the second part that you mentioned, though the pendulum was going to swing regardless because of Obama.

Frankly, it’s why this primary has made me angrier (by far) than any other election, general or primary. The exact politician that the MAGA type group has been clamoring for, that they wanted in Trump, was sitting there in DeSantis. And they chose the biggest idiot in the field instead.

Mike S

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Obama and Trump were turned into cult figures by their bases. It is kind of scary how easily people just fall in line behind these guys.

ghost

PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
I didn't know she had knelt and kissed the ring. :confused: She seemed to not embrace the Maga cult when she was campaigning before her election. So disappointed in hearing this

WesL

"Bill, I'm talkin' imminent rueage"
Staff member
Administrator
Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
I believe I've said this before, but hear me out. Why do we allow the smallest states to control who the rest of the country has to pick from? Primaries/Caucus should all be held on the same day, just like the general election.

This is the second or third time I've rallied for someone, only for them to drop out early on.

Mike S

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
I didn't know she had knelt and kissed the ring. :confused: She seemed to not embrace the Maga cult when she was campaigning before her election. So disappointed in hearing this
Yep. Very disappointing. I guess I'll never learn that they're all the same.

Mike S

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
I believe I've said this before, but hear me out. Why do we allow the smallest states to control who the rest of the country has to pick from? Primaries/Caucus should all be held on the same day, just like the general election.

This is the second or third time I've rallied for someone, only for them to drop out early on.
100% agree. Vote on the same day.

An argument against I have heard is candidates will avoid small states and states they don't have a shot at winning. I don't see that has a huge issue in this day where access to information is everywhere you turn.

WesL

"Bill, I'm talkin' imminent rueage"
Staff member
Administrator
Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
I humbly submit this very accurate representation of our situation...

ghost

PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
Will the Dems get Biden to step away and nominate someone else to run? Trump seems to be pulling away in the polls and America’s confidence in his mental acuity is about gone

Mike S

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Will the Dems get Biden to step away and nominate someone else to run? Trump seems to be pulling away in the polls and America’s confidence in his mental acuity is about gone

Trump will flap his gums enough to make the race close. The Dems likely want to push Biden through the election and then 25th him after the inauguration to put Harris in his seat.

Back