Winter WX Winter Weather January 2, 2022 Silver Lining Thread

TCLwx

Reaction score
The band of precipitation is almost to Tuscaloosa and I'm still sitting at 36F. Not sure it's going to happen for us...

AL_ham_op

Reaction score
The band of precipitation is almost to Tuscaloosa and I'm still sitting at 36F. Not sure it's going to happen for us...
You're a lot closer than us at least. I think this will be a typical cold air chasing moisture type of thing. Seems like we never can get both at the same time.

brianc33710

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
The last hourly obv had Bham at 50 & Tusc at 40. Can any1 provide more recent temps than this? If theres still a 10 deg difference given the speed of the precip were likely out of luck.

TCLwx

Reaction score
The last hourly obv had Bham at 50 & Tusc at 40. Can any1 provide more recent temps than this? If theres still a 10 deg difference given the speed of the precip were likely out of luck.
My station in Tuscaloosa is showing 35.6F. We have sleet/mix falling but it’s melting almost immediately.

Evan

Reaction score
What you all are missing is how quickly this cold air is advecting in from the West and that it is doing so all the way down to the Gulf. It's 39 degrees in Mobile. 37 in Butler. 33 in Demopolis.

This isn't the usual type of cold overrunning event.

BTW, sleet just started in McCalla (Jefferson County part) and my temp is 39.5

Last edited:

brianc33710

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
What you all are missing is how quickly this cold air is advecting in from the West qnd and that it is doing so all the way down to the Gulf. It's 39 degrees in Mobile. 37 in Butler. 33 in Demopolis.

This isn't the usual type of cold overrunning event.

BTW, sleet just started in McCalla (Jefferson County part) and my temp is 39.5
If it was just bitter cold involved, Birmingham would be the coldest location. But since theres precip in the mix, we will probably stay 10 deg above everyone else & just get rain. :(

EDIT. Bham Temp now 51! :mad: Bessemer 41, Tuscaloosa 35.

warneagle

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Federal offices are closed tomorrow, so that's a four day weekend. Now if this thing can just bust...

John Jaye

Reaction score
35.1 in Jasper. Mostly sleet with some big flakes mixed in. Temperature has been dropping steadily with the biggest drop coming as the sleet arrived.

warneagle

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
I think you can count on a bust in Bham. Everyone else around us will get snow though.
I live in northern Virginia, but DC also loves to bust while everyone else gets snow. The DC Snow Hole went from being a meme to reality in the last few years. Zero measurable snow last year and barely any the year before.

brianc33710

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
I live in northern Virginia, but DC also loves to bust while everyone else gets snow. The DC Snow Hole went from being a meme to reality in the last few years. Zero measurable snow last year and barely any the year before.
That happened Christmas 2010 as well. 90% of Jeff Co got 1" of snow but there was like a little warm thumb from the airport & a skinny slot southward down I65 that got nothing. Now Tuscaloosa is 34?

Evan

Reaction score
My temp has fallen to 36.4.

It's dropping extremely fast.

Back