• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER

Winter Weather 2022-2023

Jacob

Reaction score
Well it has certainly been a big snowstorm here in Utah. Had 9” at my house this morning when I left for work, we are officially nearing 15” at the SLC airport (I live about 30 miles north of there), which makes it a top 10 single storm snowfall since records began in 1880

bjdeming

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Not the snow map we need, but the one we deserve.

The real-world map right now isn't much less crowded just now:

20230222_132102.png

Our outlook is more snowy, as the low is a little farther south than expected and might linger longer. Three to five inches of wrap-around snow is fun in Corvallis (the rain here briefly changed over to big fat flakes a little less than an hour ago but is back to rain at the moment; heavy stuff due ro start later tonight/tomorrow, Portland NWS says in their discussion).

But then I looked a little farther east and south; gosh!

And next week might be along the same lines with another system, per the Portland discussion. Lots of ifs, though, both short and long term.

TH2002

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Been snowing on and off at least since I got back home from Riverside; WWA says we could get a couple inches of accumulation here. Definitely a 'once every few years' type event for us...

TH2002

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
The cherry blossoms have already started blooming here, and it looks like we'll finish meteorological winter with exactly one snowfall of 0.4". Yikes.
Think I know where all of Arlington’s missing snow went…
F2E337D2-2B5D-4138-883B-2095552F5FDE.jpeg
1.5 inches overnight and through this morning which is a pretty respectable total for us - and yes, the Pass did get shut down. Just glad I wasn’t in the middle of it this time!

TH2002

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
The weather was supposed to go full "Atmospheric River" mode starting tonight (looking at up to 10 inches of rain over the next couple of days) but instead we got an extra 1/2 in. with thundersnow...

TH2002

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Accumulated 8.5'' of snow in my town today with a total of 10.5'' over the past couple days. This was the most significant winter storm to impact SoCal in at least 19 years. Also, our power has been acting wonky all day - and is now possibly going to fizzle out completely for the night, so that's always nice...

TH2002

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
1.5'' of new snow this morning... this storm just doesn't know when to stop. Also of note is that the conditions in the San Bernardino County Mountains resulted in the issuance of the first ever Blizzard Warning by NWS San Diego.

bjdeming

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
"Truckee problems"

Jacob

Reaction score
Winter isn’t going anywhere anytime soon out here in the west. Picked up 1-2” on Saturday night, and another 3-4” last night. Relative to normal, this upcoming week is one of the colder ones of the winter. Looks like valley rain by the end of the week.

The Sierra Nevada range is going to continue to keep getting hammered the next 1-2 weeks as well. Looks like it’ll end up the snowiest winter on record out there. Ski resorts like Mammoth Mountain might end up being open almost all summer

TH2002

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Though all of the snow here in my town has since melted, the higher elevations in the San Bernardino County Mountains are still reeling from the impact of last month's historic winter storm. Many people (including family and coworkers) are still snowed in and/or struggling to get supplies to their homes, and the only grocery store in Crestline collapsed due to the weight of the snow:
Crestline-Grocery-Store-Roof-Collapses-Under-Weight-of-Snow.jpg

Jacob

Reaction score
Winter isn’t going anywhere anytime soon out here in the west. Picked up 1-2” on Saturday night, and another 3-4” last night. Relative to normal, this upcoming week is one of the colder ones of the winter. Looks like valley rain by the end of the week.

The Sierra Nevada range is going to continue to keep getting hammered the next 1-2 weeks as well. Looks like it’ll end up the snowiest winter on record out there. Ski resorts like Mammoth Mountain might end up being open almost all summer

Yeah, still winter out here. Friday I picked up almost 2” of snow that afternoon, 4” on Saturday night, and another 4” Sunday night. With the late March sun and these being dry snows, it mostly melted off between before the next round of snow. This morning’s commute was terrible though, the snow was mostly from a large lake effect band that developed last night. I didn’t get hit that hard, but areas south of me that I drove through had 8-15” last night, and was still puking snow on the drive in this morning.

Virtually every ski area out here has set their single season record for snow, the state has set a record for average snow water equivalent snowpack, and most basins/sub-basins are at record or very close to record levels.

Lots more snow for the mountains this week and rain/snow for the valleys. Fantastic for the western drought and the Utah drought, but I wouldn’t mind a short break here soon.

Logo 468x120
Back