• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER

Tornado Anniversaries

Brice W

Reaction score
I’ve looked through a few threads and saw some talks about the anniversaries of tornadoes. I thought it would be fun to start a thread of this, we can also learn more about tornadoes that could be unheard of. So got at it! I’m sure this day had some crazy tornado event!!

MichelleH

Reaction score
Yes, today is the 30th anniversary of the F4 tornado from March 27, 1994 that hit Piedmont, Alabama and destroyed Goshen United Methodist Church. I think 22 were killed, with 20 deaths in the church, including the pastor's 4-year-old daughter.

Reaction score
Ahead of the 1-year anniversary of the 3/31/23 outbreak, NWS Quad Cities has put out a video breaking down the setup for the outbreak in their CWA, including the Keota etc tornado family. One of the frame grabs I sent them is in the graphic at 4 minutes (and on the thumbnail).

I was diving a little bit into the archived SPC data earlier this week, and DVN's summary here jives with my impression that this event was surprisingly thermodynamically driven for an early-season Midwest setup. While certainly more than adequate for significant tornadoes given the other conditions in place, the low-level shear (at least in terms of raw SRH values) in this area wasn't jaw-dropping by high-risk, violent tornado outbreak standards. What really put this over the top IMO was the 3CAPE and lapse rates, as well as nearly optimal streamwise vorticity ingestion per the hodograph allowed for maximal use of what spin there was in the atmosphere.

Last edited:
Back