• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER

Storm Shelter Help

Gail

Reaction score
We applied for a grant for our county last year, and we should be hearing whether we were approved or not soon. I applied day 1 first thing in the morning so I’m cautiously optimistic about it. I contacted a company, and they sent us a price estimate. Can anyone please give their recommendation on which would be best? We have five people (two full grownups, two college-aged adults, and an 8 year old), a Great Pyrenees, and three cats that would be sheltering. The only difference I notice is one is 7x7 and the other is 6x12 and weighs a bit more? The 6x12 is $1,000 more so the prices are somewhat comparable.

4375DCC6-F1E7-44EA-8E41-292F51930E67.png

Attachments

• A4D51AA6-172A-4941-83A9-8DA9396B2D3F.png
    A4D51AA6-172A-4941-83A9-8DA9396B2D3F.png
    420.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Sawmaster

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
I haven't been involved with any of these but with a lifetime in construction and contracting I see a few potential problems. The first matter is access for their vehicles and install site preparation. You need to call 811 and find out who locates the underground utilities in your area, then schedule them to do it. This is a free service if you call ahead but they can have a work backlog meaning you need to get on this early. Very untypical but in my "boom" area it takes them 45+ days notice to show up and mark the underground utilities. If you do not get your utilities located before you do anything else, no insurer will cover anything for repairs which typical run between low 4 figures and low 5 figures for major screwups.
Have this done from the edge of the property line where the trucks will come in all the way to the installation site and at least 50ft in every direction surrounding it. This may seem like overkill but a truck wheel sinking can exert huge amount of localized pressure on things many feet underground below it.

Second thing here is that you do not want a contract with these clauses stating you will be responsible for costs and or damages his trucks and equipment cause. That is so unprofessional I can't effing believe it's there. Either this guy is sharp about covering his behind (which makes me wonder why he sees a need for that) or he's a BS contractor you wouldn't want to do business with. All you should be responsible for it to have the utilities located for them ahead of time wherever they request that be done, have any impediments they identify mitigated (such as tree linbs and other obstacles in the way) and to give them an extra 'time waiver' or 'buffer' on the start-finish dates to compensate for unexpected bad weather conditions making the work temporarily impossible. This is usually 14- 60 days max but can vary.

It is always up to whoever is doing the work to first verify that the work they propose to do can be properly done, that it will accomplish it's proposed purpose to any standards applied to that kind of work as to good workmanship and any legal standards (codes and design requirements). The only responsibility a customer has is to provide them any necessasry space, access, and conditions to do the work safely in. Most places also hold the site owner (you) ultimately responsible to be sure all necessary permits and fees are in order, and that the people doing the work ALL have any required licenses, permits, and insurances the law may require for their work. GET COPIES OF ALL OF THIS. Get a copy of the drivers license and relevant work insurance policy which covers them for each and every person allowed on the job, and keep them in a safe place forever so you cannot be held responsible for anything not directly your fault. I know someone who took a "contractor's" word last year about him having required workmans comp for injury and a building permit when he didn't. One mishap with a miter saw left that customer owing that fools medical bills to the tune of $45k which was in excess of their homeowner's policy limits of $100k per injury, and they played heck getting their homeowners to kick in without having proof on paper the work was being done legally.

If I'm scaring you I mean to. My business is full of scams and scammers many of who seem OK but aren't. I simply want you to get what you're paying for without being exposed to liabilities someone else incurs. IMHO anytime you contract or hire anything done at or in your home with any possible risk involved or worth over $50 you need to contact your lawyer for advice on how to proceed before you start. With this project you definitely want your lawyer to see what you've shown here because I know what their response will be. Negotiate a contract fair and safe to you.

Last edited:

Gail

Reaction score
Oh wow, thank you so much for all this information and helping us cover our bases. It is GREATLY appreciated! I knew to call before digging, but I wasn’t aware of the other possible issues.

Back