• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
  • April 2024 Weather Video of the Month
    Post your nominations now!

Winter WX Southern US Winter Storm (Feb 9 - 17)

Mr. Clark

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Except at higher elevations, I don’t think Huntsville got much ice.
I live on the Western side of Madison and I agree. We woke to frozen elevated surfaces like trees and I had a nice glazing on the deck. But we never had any ice on the surface streets or anything else on the ground. By lunchtime, everything that had been frozen had melted.

I got notification a little while ago the Redstone Arsenal is closed tomorrow, so they must be really concerned about black ice tomorrow morning.

Equus

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Finally below freezing here but looks like the precip is long gone. Big relief here, but just a few miles west clearly things have gotten very nasty. Feel fortunate to have power tonight

Porch is already getting slippery and the bird feeders were frozen shut; had to warm the lids up. Seeing all the images from Marion and Lamar etc are pretty jaw-dropping with whole trees felled by the ice.

Last edited:

StormStalker

Staff member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
It’s a chilly 19 degrees here now and everything outside is basically a block of ice. The sleet saved us from significant freezing rain accumulations but also prohibited us from getting snow.

Weatherphreak

Reaction score
Got a whole lot of rain in South Huntsville but that’s about it. I’m sure it’ll be an ice skating rink tonight. It’ll be interesting to see how the snow pack in Texas influences the Thursday storm? Would love for temps to come in colder and get a nice snow dump to end the week. Bring on sunny and 60 by the weekend!

ghost

PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
Remember to let the water trickle/drip out of your faucets if your temps are getting into the low teens or single digits tonight. Both hot and cold sides. Especially true if you've lost your power.

Chris3024

Reaction score
Well, I had to use some warmish water to get the car door open this morning, and the runoff on the ground was slush in about 15 minutes.

• Wow
Reactions: KoD

_melody_

PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
That is a beautiful picture.

I feel like this is a painting! Beautiful!
Thank you. It was so pretty. There were tons of birds everywhere, especially cardinals and they were just shimmering against the background of the white. When the thaw started a few hours later, the ice falling off of the barn was banging loudly as it hit the lower roof and it took me a minute to figure out what all that noise was. The whole building was groaning too as the wind blew on it while the ice was still there. It was kind of amazing to see how it all worked out over the past few days! Here are some pictures from the ice a couple of days earlier, which was also beautiful.

_DSC0933.png_DSC0934.png_DSC0974.png_DSC0959.png

WesL

"Bill, I'm talkin' imminent rueage"
Administrator
Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Morning everyone. We had an extra inch or so overnight. Was able to get out and take few pics before traffic picked up.C070F6F7-6D1D-410C-8A76-585155A935DB.jpegD0A71533-B3C8-40AE-942F-66210B3D450F.jpeg

Blountwolf

PerryW Project Supporter
Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Second verse, same as the first for North Alabama? Dewpoints sure are low out in front of the second round. How high is the confidence on where the freezing line sets up? Will evap cooling move it south? Will WAA move it north? 1613595518767.png

Blountwolf

PerryW Project Supporter
Sustaining Member
Reaction score
1613598995791.png

Blue is 32 degree line, maroon is 32 degree wet-bulb line. 32 degree dewpoint line is near the coast. Some evap cooling happening - watching temps fall as moisture arrives. Almost all the moisture is in the below freezing side of this storm. Returns look like sleet to me - if that's snow, it's dumping on north MS, and if it's raining that hard into the below freezing surface temps - poor folks.

Back