• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
  • April 2024 Weather Video of the Month
    Post your nominations now!
Logo 468x120

TH2002

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
This one:

I used it for Guin damage pics extensively.
For the hell of it, I popped some damage pics in there. Most of them didn't turn out great, but these two (first from the 1895 Halstead, KS tornado and the second from the 1957 Robecco Pavese, Italy tornado) came out decent:
a6e268d8-9faf-431b-9932-4d430985db0d.jpg
d03f7541-914b-46e6-a292-71d196994574.jpg

Reaction score
Seems like some of the WFO offices such as Mobile/Pensacola are willing to revisit past events and possibly upgrade some ratings. I hope that Memphis WFO will take another look at the New Wren, MS EF3 of 2011.

If only we could go back in time and have more documentation…
MEG doesn’t care. Their surveys are generally half a**ed.

HAwkmoon

Reaction score
Someone was debating Piedmont and Bridge Creek. What do you guys think was more violent? They were comparing vehicles and vegetation damage I think.

Reaction score
For the hell of it, I popped some damage pics in there. Most of them didn't turn out great, but these two (first from the 1895 Halstead, KS tornado and the second from the 1957 Robecco Pavese, Italy tornado) came out decent:
View attachment 27204
View attachment 27199

More colorized Tri-State pics that likely show ground scouring and the like. These are all from Illinois:

Near Plumfield:
lTx2xWR_.jpg

Near Parrish:

hLY77mgS.jpg

The railroad tracks at Gorham:

ihjPvJew.jpg

DeSoto:

y4rzRh4H.jpg

XR5mcyXH.jpg

67gDcPLA.jpg

Reaction score
Colorized pics from Sherman that reveal ground scouring, debarked trees and shredded, low-lying vegetation:

KJAa-cCt.jpgMgNOqIvg.jpgTggf5iS2.jpgYBWHcQwy.jpg

Addendum, this pic you can these low-lying remnants of shrubs, small trees, not sure that are bent towards a center and completely stripped bare, I've made an arrow pointing to them:

Tggf5iS2.jpg

locomusic01

Reaction score
Someone was debating Piedmont and Bridge Creek. What do you guys think was more violent? They were comparing vehicles and vegetation damage I think.
In my mind, they're both among the small group of tornadoes that are basically as violent as it gets. At a certain point the damage is so extreme that you can reasonably justify rating them in almost any order (as long as Jarrell is at the top of the list).

If I were forced to choose I'd probably say Bridge Creek, though. The combination of scouring + tree damage + vehicle damage is insane (including multiple confirmable instances of vehicles being thrown > 1 mile). Like.. there were parts of multiple cars and trucks in this little windbreak alone, and you have to look pretty hard to even identify anything that's vaguely recognizable as belonging to a vehicle.

(I know I've shared most of these here and/or in my article already, but they never fail to blow me away.)

SUv9pfI.jpeg

soTUsDL.jpeg

DbvzExh.jpeg

A bunch of random vehicles in a chewed-up field, including some that've been stripped to nothing more than the frame/chassis:

5k11y8q.jpeg

Obviously one of the classic images of the event:

2X3Z6bj.jpeg

More assorted vehicle parts:

gd3TMZE.jpeg

pXvMtab.jpeg

sX7KjLC.jpeg

2JgwPzL.jpeg

So4EpFf.jpeg

Ue8icfZ.jpeg

6A3nyOc.jpeg

MXn7N1y.jpeg

AgxXeAQ.jpeg

zhZFLHa.jpeg

txfs3H7.jpeg

nqTecbU.jpeg

m0omqU9.jpeg

otssfxm.jpeg

1Xw5qYr.jpeg

locomusic01

Reaction score
Oh! Speaking of 5/3/99, a few things I forgot to share before. First, a couple of very low-quality photos from the Apache-Stecker F3 (this particular property was near Stecker):

dfpgSUO.jpeg

rQjKxJ0.jpeg

And a video of some of the damage from the F3 that struck Stroud:

A few from the Haysville F4:

3AGNbMh.jpeg

FZbl0k7.jpeg

e90BFY1.jpeg

F4GYBRJ.jpeg

And a random shot from the DeKalb, TX F3 the following day:

xcsBzoC.jpeg

Reaction score
Bit of a trick question; Bridge Creek-Moore 1999 definitely did much more extreme damage in the community of Bridge Creek but weakened quite a bit by the time it reached Moore. El Reno 2011 was at peak intensity for practically it's entire path, it stayed on the ground 65 miles for nearly 2 hours; that's extremely rare for plains tornadoes. I'd say Bridge Creek did more intense damage in a small area but El Reno 2011 was much more intense for its entire existence.
Hell 2011 was the year of the tornado. So many (Smithville, Hackleburg, El Reno, Joplin) that set many records; never been a year like it.

Reaction score
In my mind, they're both among the small group of tornadoes that are basically as violent as it gets. At a certain point the damage is so extreme that you can reasonably justify rating them in almost any order (as long as Jarrell is at the top of the list).

If I were forced to choose I'd probably say Bridge Creek, though. The combination of scouring + tree damage + vehicle damage is insane (including multiple confirmable instances of vehicles being thrown > 1 mile). Like.. there were parts of multiple cars and trucks in this little windbreak alone, and you have to look pretty hard to even identify anything that's vaguely recognizable as belonging to a vehicle.

(I know I've shared most of these here and/or in my article already, but they never fail to blow me away.)

SUv9pfI.jpeg

soTUsDL.jpeg

DbvzExh.jpeg

A bunch of random vehicles in a chewed-up field, including some that've been stripped to nothing more than the frame/chassis:

5k11y8q.jpeg

2X3Z6bj.jpeg

gd3TMZE.jpeg

pXvMtab.jpeg

sX7KjLC.jpeg

2JgwPzL.jpeg

So4EpFf.jpeg

Ue8icfZ.jpeg

6A3nyOc.jpeg

MXn7N1y.jpeg

AgxXeAQ.jpeg

zhZFLHa.jpeg

txfs3H7.jpeg

nqTecbU.jpeg

m0omqU9.jpeg

otssfxm.jpeg

1Xw5qYr.jpeg

My top 5 (post-1989):

1. Jarrell
2. Smithville
3. El Reno '11
4. Bridge Creek Moore (3 and 4 are neck & neck, really):
5. Bakersfield Valley

Honorable mentions: Andover, Red Rock, Pampa and Loyal Valley

Reaction score

SUv9pfI.jpeg

soTUsDL.jpeg

DbvzExh.jpeg

5k11y8q.jpeg

2X3Z6bj.jpeg

gd3TMZE.jpeg

pXvMtab.jpeg

sX7KjLC.jpeg

2JgwPzL.jpeg

So4EpFf.jpeg

Ue8icfZ.jpeg

6A3nyOc.jpeg

MXn7N1y.jpeg

AgxXeAQ.jpeg

zhZFLHa.jpeg

txfs3H7.jpeg

nqTecbU.jpeg

m0omqU9.jpeg

otssfxm.jpeg

1Xw5qYr.jpeg
I thought they were thrown for 1/2 mile. Maybe some were thrown further.

locomusic01

Reaction score
I thought they were thrown for 1/2 mile. Maybe some were thrown further.
I talked to a number of people whose vehicles were lofted and was able to map out their start + end points. I think four of them ended up right around a mile. I'd have to take screenshots of the others, but here's one I have saved:

yq1VpCm.jpeg

That was this car, which was parked in a driveway just south of SE 94th and landed in a pond:

ER9yGvF.jpeg

7X8wPjH.jpeg

One that I wasn't able to map out precisely was Kevin Weber's car, which was near the 16th St. overpass. I was given like three different locations where it was supposed to have been found and I'm not sure which one is correct, but they're all in the same general area and all right around a mile away, give or take maybe 200 yards.

H3VogKm.jpeg

Same deal with one of the cars in Bridge Creek except I know where it landed but there's some uncertainty (within like 100-200 yards maybe) about exactly where it was parked. I'd have to go through my notes again but I think it may've been this one?

nsYwPPK.jpeg

HAwkmoon

Reaction score
I talked to a number of people whose vehicles were lofted and was able to map out their start + end points. I think four of them ended up right around a mile. I'd have to take screenshots of the others, but here's one I have saved:

yq1VpCm.jpeg

That was this car, which was parked in a driveway just south of SE 94th and landed in a pond:

ER9yGvF.jpeg

7X8wPjH.jpeg

One that I wasn't able to map out precisely was Kevin Weber's car, which was near the 16th St. overpass. I was given like three different locations where it was supposed to have been found and I'm not sure which one is correct, but they're all in the same general area and all right around a mile away, give or take maybe 200 yards.

H3VogKm.jpeg

Same deal with one of the cars in Bridge Creek except I know where it landed but there's some uncertainty (within like 100-200 yards maybe) about exactly where it was parked. I'd have to go through my notes again but I think it may've been this one?

nsYwPPK.jpeg
Yeah I agree, I think they are pretty much interchangeable, Bridge Creek certainly had more examples of extreme vehicle damage, however the severity of it was a similar level to Piedmont. Vegetation wise Tornado talk had some extreme images of scouring and cyclodial marks as well as the most impressive tree damage I have ever seen. Coupled with Cactus i think either of these tornadoes are on par. Jarrell at number 1 for damage is definitely valid although it was moving extremely slow so I question it's intensity compared to Bridge Creek and Piedmont.

Back