• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
  • April 2024 Weather Video of the Month
    Post your nominations now!
Logo 468x120

Severe Weather Threat - May 6, 2024

Reaction score
Eh, don't know if coverage will justify it, but it doesn't matter at this point, every outlet in the area is hammering this to no end. No one is downplaying it.
Same. I think the brush with the synoptic forcing in Oklahoma instead of a pretty solid “push” may yield fewer cells. Could be something like 5/31/13, where any cells that do go up will be absolute monsters but not a pock marked 4-5 supercell parade traversing the state.

SmokeEater

Reaction score
Don't know if anyone on the board can confirm, seeing a lot of people at OU hammering the school for not canceling exams tonight, and saying they won't unless a warning is issued while it is going on. I don't know how you can expect anyone to concentrate with a risk like this ongoing.

warneagle

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Don't know if anyone on the board can confirm, seeing a lot of people at OU hammering the school for not canceling exams tonight, and saying they won't unless a warning is issued while it is going on. I don't know how you can expect anyone to concentrate with a risk like this ongoing.
Idk, I kind of get it from the perspective of the instructors if there’s nothing going on at that time of day since that would really mess with their schedules for getting final grades in. Bringing back some PTSD from my college teaching days.

Clancy

Reaction score
Idk, I kind of get it from the perspective of the instructors if there’s nothing going on at that time of day since that would really mess with their schedules for getting final grades in. Bringing back some PTSD from my college teaching days.
Yeah, there's usually pretty hard deadlines you can't mess around with this time of the semester. That said, no way 90% of those students aren't going to be staring out the window/their radar/out chasing today.

keithGA

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
With all due respect, eff your grading schedules. Not worth the risk.

Reaction score
Jeff Duda (not sure what his specialized field of study is in meteorology but he does have a PhD) says this event may actually have a better chance of verifying as a wind driven high risk than tornado due to the forcing at play. Too strong in Kansas, too weak in Oklahoma. Not exactly sure what models he is getting that from but something to keep in mind failure mode wise I guess.

Peter Griffin

Reaction score
Probably a dumb question but is there a situation where there can be too much shear? Like it could shred the updraft and make it more difficult for them to consolidate so you end up with more shorter track and hopefully less destructive tornadoes?

Muwx

Reaction score
Jeff Duda (not sure what his specialized field of study is in meteorology but he does have a PhD) says this event may actually have a better chance of verifying as a wind driven high risk than tornado due to the forcing at play. Too strong in Kansas, too weak in Oklahoma. Not exactly sure what models he is getting that from but something to keep in mind failure mode wise I guess.
The SPC has admitted that they do not like to issue high risks for wind, while what he is saying could be true, i'd be stunned if they issued a wind driven high risk.

jiharris0220

Reaction score
Probably a dumb question but is there a situation where there can be too much shear? Like it could shred the updraft and make it more difficult for them to consolidate so you end up with more shorter track and hopefully less destructive tornadoes?
If there was abundant mid level dry air or weak instability this would be the case, unfortunately not remotely a possibility.

Reaction score
The SPC has admitted that they do not like to issue high risks for wind, while what he is saying could be true, i'd be stunned if they issued a wind driven high risk.
No they won’t do that, I think he just meant forcing wise would maybe present a greater wind threat than a tornado threat due to storm coverage and a more forced linear mode in Kansas.

TheSuckZone

Reaction score
If other ingredients aren't in place, then yes you can have too much shear. I don't think that will come into play today though.