• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
  • April 2024 Weather Video of the Month
    Post your nominations now!

Severe Weather Threat - May 6, 2024

KevinH

Reaction score
There’s really not much for me to add other than let’s hope this busts cataclysmicly, and to the people who are excited for this event (no one on here thankfully) to kindly get a more productive hobby.
Just wanted to point out that SOME people are excited for days like this so they can study the meteorology associated with the storms that develop.

Let’s not assume that everyone who is excited about today has morbid intentions :(

KevinH

Reaction score
Yeah, I'm afraid (per Evan's X post you quoted) that so many are going to say it's a bust and be complacent by the time the actual event gets going.
Yeah that seems to happen with most events. I was just going to comment that anyone who uses the b word in this thread before the event is over should be banned lol

Part of me hopes that those people (who obviously don’t know much about meteorology) are taught a lesson.

Predicting the weather is not an exact science and can be much more difficult than most people realize.

wx_guy

Reaction score
HAM Callsign
KO4ZGH
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
  2. ARRL Member
Reason they didn’t use the violent word in high risk?
I mean...likely because that word (As you know, since you mentioned it) carries a lot of weight and there's still 8-12 hours before the event, so they don't want to throw around words that may cause panic unnecessarily.

warneagle

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
First High Risk nationwide since March 31st, 2023. Amory MS EF3 tornado and Rolling Fork. May 20th 2019 was last May High Risk for Oklahoma and before that it May 18th, 2017 and May 24th, 2011. 2019 was the most recent one for Oklahoma before today.
Rolling Fork was a week before on March 24, 2023

warneagle

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Hardly a cap to speak of with a sickle shaped hodo. Obviously the unstable airmass has yet to arrive, but will do so dramatically.
You can see the kind of airmass we’re gonna be dealing with in the high risk area quite well on the 12z FWD sounding.

Attachments

• IMG_6264.jpeg
    IMG_6264.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0