• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
  • April 2024 Weather Video of the Month
    Post your nominations now!

Severe Weather Threat - Jan 11-12th, 2024

Equus

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
The heaviest part of the line here was quite uneventful, a vague shelf cloud then an increase in rainfall rate. Gusty winds but no higher than the gradient winds that have already been blowing. Not extending watches and warnings seems like it'll be a good call in retrospect

Clancy

Reaction score
Does this look even remote correct? It looks wrong to me...

View attachment 23319
Sure doesn't seem like it if current conditions are anything to go by. Strongest storms were expected over MS and NW AL, which largely hasn't materialized. Could see some reintensification happening in E/SE GA into the Carolinas depending on destabilization, but that's a question mark for me.

South AL Wx

Meteorologist
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Looks like BMX isn't expecting a watch to be issued:

"1/12 1055AM: At this time, we don't anticipate a Watch being issued for Central AL. Based on data from the special balloon release & other mesoscale parameters, conditions just aren't supportive of widespread severe weather. Winds will remain strong outside of storms. #alwx"

pritchlaw

Reaction score
I wouldn’t envy anyone in the position of power to cancel schools.
They love it. They, like all bureaucrats, love they chance to be the show. And it is a win-win bc when it turns out to be ridiculous you just say that you went with the "experts" and you acted "out of an abundance of caution." Nobody has the stones to look objectively at a situation and NOT pull the trigger on alarmism. And our kids are all sitting at home playing Fortnite and laughing.

KevinH

Reaction score
They love it. They, like all bureaucrats, love the chance to be the show. And it is a win-win bc when it turns out to be ridiculous you just say that you went with the "experts" and you acted "out of an abundance of caution." Nobody has the stones to look objectively at a situation and NOT pull the trigger on alarmism. And our kids are all sitting at home playing Fortnite and laughing.
I am sure it has to be difficult to accurately make a call like canceling school when the weather can be so unpredictable.. and/or conditional.

Jacob

Reaction score
I am sure it has to be difficult to accurately make a call like canceling school when the weather can be so unpredictable.. and/or conditional.

It's really unfortunate that the way cancellations are handled these days, especially since these decisions are made in the best interest of the school's liability, not the best interest of the student body at large.

pritchlaw

Reaction score
They make the same call every time. Close em. Teachers love the administrators that give them days off at every chance.

Logo 468x120