• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
  • April 2024 Weather Video of the Month
    Post your nominations now!

Severe Weather Threat 4/27-4/28, 2024 - (Saturday, Sunday)

MoonBaby

Knew It Would Happen
Reaction score
I don’t chime in a lot because I’m nowhere near as knowledgable as all of you. However, I really want to discuss how much it irritates me when people claim towns are “gone” or “destroyed” in the moments after a disaster.
I live in Tuscaloosa county and during the 2011 tornado I was in a bomb shelter on campus with my then newborn daughter. She was too little to go to a more public shelter so I was hanging out there. My parents and siblings were in the shelter located in the mall (the mall on the videos that the tornado went right next to if you’ve never been here).
A guy ran in saying the mall and hosptial were completely destroyed. The last text from my family said they were in that mall.
For 30 minutes I was an absolute trainwreck trying to get in touch with them through damaged cell towers. They were ok. The mall didn’t even take a direct hit. None of that was necessary. Just please everyone watch your wording. We all love watching the wonders of nature, but when there’s a catastrophe you HAVE to take into account who is seeing your posts or hearing your words. Inducing panic in an already bad situation is cruel.
Ok sorry. Rant over.

Clancy

Reaction score
Lots of warnings over the past couple days. Don't envy being a warning coordinator in the Plains right now. Also an uncanny number of people going on about fake/engineered weather lately on the dumpster fire that is bird site; makes me thankful for the few working neurons I still have.

OHWX97

Reaction score
Idabel, OK in November 2022 was rated EF4.
You're right. That outbreak completely skipped my mind. The Powderly EF4 that same day also tracked into OK, but neither tornado are included in OUN's list of violent tornadoes in Oklahoma, I'm guessing because they remained below EF4 intensity while in OK. Seems like kind of a gray area.

jiharris0220

Reaction score
Yeah, it’s quite pathetic to see, every natural disaster that occurs now is being called “weather warfare”, and it’s not just on twitter. Even though the only thing we can do is put a bunch of salt in the clouds to squeeze a tiny bit more water out.

Checking sources and finding accurate information is becoming increasingly more difficult for the layman. But back to the weather, the tornado count now is around average for the year just from the past two days.
1714339769835.jpeg

Fred Gossage

PerryW Project Supporter
Meteorologist
Reaction score
I don’t chime in a lot because I’m nowhere near as knowledgable as all of you. However, I really want to discuss how much it irritates me when people claim towns are “gone” or “destroyed” in the moments after a disaster.
I live in Tuscaloosa county and during the 2011 tornado I was in a bomb shelter on campus with my then newborn daughter. She was too little to go to a more public shelter so I was hanging out there. My parents and siblings were in the shelter located in the mall (the mall on the videos that the tornado went right next to if you’ve never been here).
A guy ran in saying the mall and hosptial were completely destroyed. The last text from my family said they were in that mall.
For 30 minutes I was an absolute trainwreck trying to get in touch with them through damaged cell towers. They were ok. The mall didn’t even take a direct hit. None of that was necessary. Just please everyone watch your wording. We all love watching the wonders of nature, but when there’s a catastrophe you HAVE to take into account who is seeing your posts or hearing your words. Inducing panic in an already bad situation is cruel.
Ok sorry. Rant over.
I've always stood on the working principle that what you hear in the first 30 minutes to an hour from a damage scene needs to be taken with a heavy dose of caution, even if it's coming from well-meaning first responders that aren't trying to be misleading, just because of how chaotic everything is. But within the last few years, we've seen a sheriff in Florida after Hurricane Ian try to report on TV of "hundreds dead" while knowing as he was saying it that it was an intentional exaggeration, we've seen just today the governor of Oklahoma report that Sulphur, OK had been rated EF4 or higher when that wasn't the case. It's getting to where even reports from what should be trustworthy officials like that need to be taken with a dose of caution until things are solidified directly from NWS survey teams on ground, EMA officials, etc.

MoonBaby

Knew It Would Happen
Reaction score
I've always stood on the working principle that what you hear in the first 30 minutes to an hour from a damage scene needs to be taken with a heavy dose of caution, even if it's coming from well-meaning first responders that aren't trying to be misleading, just because of how chaotic everything is. But within the last few years, we've seen a sheriff in Florida after Hurricane Ian try to report on TV of "hundreds dead" while knowing as he was saying it that it was an intentional exaggeration, we've seen just today the governor of Oklahoma report that Sulphur, OK had been rated EF4 or higher when that wasn't the case. It's getting to where even reports from what should be trustworthy officials like that need to be taken with a dose of caution until things are solidified directly from NWS survey teams on ground, EMA officials, etc.
Exactly. I understand people are hyped up, and first responders see some crazy stuff when leaping into search and rescue.. it’s just insane to automatically start spouting out deaths and absolute destruction before there’s been time to see if it’s accurate. Then again it seems there is a lack of tact nowadays and people are more concerned with views and attention than the emotions of those impacted who are stuck and unable to locate family. It’s all just a mess.
I will rant about people fighting over tornado ratings another day. People are just weird.
I love your posts btw! Just wanted to toss that out there.

MoonBaby

Knew It Would Happen
Reaction score
Yeah I’m not arguing on controversial topics. I just don’t want hyperbole after the event to scare survivors who are worried about family.
I understand some hyperbole about events prior to happening to make people listen, but even then not an excessive amount.

TH2002

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
All eyes are on Sulphur (and for good reason) but I'm still worried about the Ardmore-Dickson area. The damage photos trickling in from Bennington looked EF2-ish at first, but then that turned into homes leveled and even swept away in a few cases. Hoping that won't be the case with the Oklahoma towns.

Back