• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
  • April 2024 Weather Video of the Month
    Post your nominations now!

Severe Weather Threat 4/27-4/28, 2024 - (Saturday, Sunday)

andyhb

Meteorologist
Reaction score
It's a mildly irritating bit of hyperbole, like this one from yesterday from Minden - town looks there and later chaser and drone footage showed the tornado hit the edge. The highly damaging core is much rarely more than a couple of hundred metres outside of extreme cases, many towns are bigger. Obviously in this case a lot of buildings will still have to go and lot of money will still have to be spent.

It'd one of those storm chaser/tornado enthusiast exaggeration things. A bit like with size - a survey may have EF0 contour a half mile wide or whatever, the actual condensation funnel they're seeing will probably be less than what they're saying in their videos. Or the use of 'violent' to describe anything more than a little spin up.
I'm pretty sure the Sulphur reports of the downtown being destroyed were coming from an EMS scanner. I don't necessarily disagree with those reports based on what I'm seeing this morning. Many of the buildings in downtown look like total losses.

JPWX

Reaction score
Key Points to takeaway from this event:

Tornadoes don't care what risk category.
You can have 100+ Tornadoes in a Level 3 Enhanced.
SPC did the best job they could with this event as with every event.
The categorical risk system ain't broken
We need to do better at communicating the risk as well as uncertainties instead of looking at getting categorical verification.

Maxis_s

Reaction score
Pretty much perfect placement, despite Wx Twitter's outrage.
I don't think twitter was angry about the placement, rather the fact that it wasn't a high risk. In retrospect, there was too much uncertainty to issue one, but it definitely verified as a high risk, especially once the missing tornado reports come in.

andyhb

Meteorologist
Reaction score
I am legitimately concerned about tomorrow living here in Norman. I have not had this level of concern since 5/20/2019.

Take from that what you will, but the prospect of multiple rounds of supercells and a QLCS moving through an extremely moist and moderately to highly sheared warm sector is a daunting one to say the least.
Well, it was delayed for a bit, but this fear came to pass largely. I thank the lucky stars that the training band of tornadic supercells further south stayed away from the OKC area. That would've been an absolute disaster if they had been a bit further west.

Fred Gossage

PerryW Project Supporter
Meteorologist
Reaction score
Sulphur, OK is "at least EF3" as a preliminary via NWS Norman from NWSChat. They specifically mention that there is potential for it to possibly go up (although they also pointed out that it may not lol). Width looks to be a third to half mile wide. The reports from the OK governor of a prelim EF4+ are incorrect.

Logo 468x120
Back