• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
  • April 2024 Weather Video of the Month
    Post your nominations now!

Severe Threat - Feb 27-28th, 2024

Reaction score
Honestly, the Grand Blanc damage is much less severe than I was anticipating. It might not even meet the criteria for EF2.

Weaker-spectrum tornadoes can wreck a lot of stuff if they go through a city, but substantial site-built structures resist them well enough that they usually don't cause fatalities/serious injuries if everyone is properly sheltered.

buckeye05

Reaction score
Weaker-spectrum tornadoes can wreck a lot of stuff if they go through a city, but substantial site-built structures resist them well enough that they usually don't cause fatalities/serious injuries if everyone is properly sheltered.
I think it lofted enough lightweight debris to make it look really scary on CC. The thing about dual-pol is that when you see that dreaded blue dot, it could either be leaves and lightweight debris, or large parts of trees, vehicles, and buildings in the air, and still look the same.

Thankfully this appears to have been a “bark worse than the bite” situation.

buckeye05

Reaction score
The damage at this industrial facility is the worst I’ve seen yet in Grand Blanc. Nothing insane, but I may have been a bit too dismissive with the “not even an EF2” comment. This also explains the big CC drop; tons of insulation and metal sheeting got lofted.
95A8F44F-EBF9-40BB-9120-CCF3792E632C.jpeg

Clancy

Reaction score
Low-end wind risk today for the squall line moving towards the Eastern Seaboard.
1709140469524.png
...THERE IS A MARGINAL RISK OF SEVERE THUNDERSTORMS ACROSS THE
APPALACHIANS STATES/EASTERN U.S....

...SUMMARY...
Isolated strong to locally severe wind gusts will be possible today
from the Tennessee Valley and west slopes of the Appalachians to
western New England, the Mid-Atlantic Region, and portions of the
Carolinas.

...Tennessee Valley/Appalachians...
A well-organized northeast/southwest-oriented thunderstorm squall
line continues to progress generally eastward across northern
Alabama, eastern Tennessee as well as southeast Kentucky and
southern West Virginia as of late morning, largely paralleling an
eastward-moving cold front. Periodic strong or locally severe wind
gusts will remain a possibility across a broad portion of the region
today, but especially across the Tennessee Valley toward southern
Appalachians where somewhat stronger heating and destabilization are
expected coincident with the southern periphery of strong winds
aloft and weak height falls. Farther north, showers and cloud cover
will tend to remain prevalent across much of the pre-frontal warm
sector across the Northeast, although some clearing/weak
destabilization is possible later this afternoon immediately near
the front currently across the Upper Ohio Valley.

..Guyer/Bentley.. 02/28/2024

UncleJuJu98

100,000th Post
Reaction score
I think part of the reason the Grand Blanc tornado looked so scary on radar is its proximity to the radar site. At least on Level 3 data, those deep blues are more likely to show up with a tornado that's close to the radar.
Reminds me kindve of the armory Mississippi tornado back on the night of the rolling fork tornado. So close and looked so bad. But only because it was so close. This was the ef3 armory tornado, super gnarly because of proximity to radar images (12).jpeg

Equus

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
We're getting some substantial coverage of wind damage reports and 70+ mph gusts along that line today, definitely overperforming for a marginal risk. Was a little surprised to wake up to thunder and a SWS. Lots of full on severe warnings now and some 70+ gusts in the Atlanta metro earlier

Meanwhile, seeing some sources claim that the largest of the TX panhandle wildfires is up to 850k acres, which if true stands an outside chance at becoming the state's biggest on record if not contained soon before winds pick up again

Back