• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
  • April 2024 Weather Video of the Month
    Post your nominations now!
Logo 468x120

Severe Weather Threat - May 6, 2024

andyhb

Meteorologist
Reaction score
I wouldn’t be surprised to see a 30% moderate, or perhaps a high risk if models stay as they are now or trend even worse up until tomorrow.
They won't go 30% here without adding a high, the threat for significant tornadoes is too high for that.

Maxis_s

Reaction score
This parameter space is absolutely horrifying. I thought the first run of the NAM that showed that was an outlier... goodness gracious I was wrong.
I pray that it either goes linear or no storms fire.

TH2002

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
FYI, there is such thing as the ignore button for people who's posts you don't want to see. Click profile, click ignore - on XenForo it works really well.

Whereas complaining about other poster's posting becomes itself annoying.
*edited to reduce the heat

I think part of the problem is that people here either feel some kind of 'moral obligation' to respond to casuarina's posts, or see him as 'annoying, but a part of the community nonetheless'.

I think it's also more of a testament to how kind TalkWeather is in general than anything else - let's just say that if TW wasn't the way it is, @Casuarina Head would have been banned a long time ago.

Last edited:

Fred Gossage

PerryW Project Supporter
Meteorologist
Reaction score

That always happens in the Plains, but if supercells are rooted prior to that nocturnal inversion developing, they will still be tapping a surface-based inflow environment from below the inversion and will still be capable of producing strong to violent tornadoes. For an example, think Greensburg KS 2007.

jiharris0220

Reaction score
If low level lapse rates are high enough and cloud cover is marginal then that CIN will be meaningless. Of course, the key word is “if”.

Edit: even though the CIN may not seem like a big deal, we do got to take into account all potential failure modes. As these could either be a bigger or lesser factor in reality.

Fred Gossage

PerryW Project Supporter
Meteorologist
Reaction score
If low level lapse rates are high enough and cloud cover is marginal then that CIN will be meaningless. Of course, the key word is “if”.
The convective inhibition being talked about here isn't a capping inversion. It's the nightly nocturnal low-level inversion that develops on the Plains from boundary layer decoupling. It happens after sunset; so, the amount of sunshine tomorrow has nothing to do with it. We're not looking for it to be broken or eroded because it won't be (although it may not build in as fast, the stronger the low-level winds are). We are looking for supercellular updrafts to get rooted in the surface-based inflow layer prior to it getting established.

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
I’m seeing a pink sharpie tomorrow.
Look for a very large 30 percent area on Wednesday s threat … the lapse rates 12z models r showing r nearly off chart , going be a very serious big hail threst
Along with wide area of
Damaging winds along decent tornado threat … wouldn’t count out a true derecho forming behind few super cells out ahead …. But let’s worry about tomorrow first.

andyhb

Meteorologist
Reaction score
The convective inhibition being talked about here isn't a capping inversion. It's the nightly nocturnal low-level inversion that develops on the Plains from boundary layer decoupling. It happens after sunset; so, the amount of sunshine tomorrow has nothing to do with it. We're not looking for it to be broken or eroded because it won't be (although it may not build in as fast, the stronger the low-level winds are). We are looking for supercellular updrafts to get rooted in the surface-based inflow layer prior to it getting established.
Moisture advection helps counter this, and boy do I see a lot of it through the day and into tomorrow evening.