• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
  • April 2024 Weather Video of the Month
    Post your nominations now!
Logo 468x120

Penn State Forecasting Certificate Program

Kolle

Reaction score
Howdy, everyone. I just completed the undergraduate weather forecasting certificate program at Penn State World Campus. I figured some of you might be interested in this. I had no idea this was a think until only a few years ago.
This is an online program designed for working adults with either a hobbyist interest in weather or to supplement their career. In my case, the program helped me with both -- I have been a weather nerd since I was little and a spotter since 2008, and my job as a safety and security supervisor at a large tourist attraction known best for its summer camps requires me to monitor inclement weather. Most of my classmates were in their 30s, 40s, or 50s. Some are chasers, some work in aviation or logistics, a few worked in journalism...and one was a pastry chef.

You take four courses -- a general weather 101 course that covers the basics like surface maps, troughs and ridges, jet streaks, and basic data modeling, along with a tropical forecasting course, an advanced mesoscale forecasting course (which is basically your severe weather class), and an actual forecasting class, where, after a few weeks of forecasting boot camp, you participate in the WxChallenge, a national forecasting competiton, for the rest of the semester. (My class placed second in the nation in its category.) Most people take one course each spring and fall semester, although summer courses are offered.

The pros of the program are that it's entirely online. The course material is the same you would find as an in-person student, so when you graduate, you are an alumni of Penn State. My instructors were all superb, especially my mesoscale forecasting instructor, Steve Corfidi, who is a retired SPC Lead Forecaster, and my tropical forecasting instructor, Sim Aberson, who, amongst other things, HUNTS HURRICANES.
Now, the cons: The program is expensive, especially for only four courses. It costs almost $8000. Thankfully, you do not need to purchase textbooks. And I would not expect a job in weather upon completion of the program, as you are still not a meteorologist. But it might get you a raise at your job like it did me.
If you have the means to pay for it, I would go for it. If you do not, there are lots of free online weather courses, like those from MetED from UCAR.

Fred Gossage

PerryW Project Supporter
Meteorologist
Reaction score
Bryan Wilson of our group just finished his first semester of this program. He's working through it for now before he has more time to dedicate toward a full-on degree later when life isn't as hectic. After seeing the material covered just so far, I would definitely recommend this for anyone who has the funds for it.

Kolle

Reaction score
Oh, I forgot to mention that only basic arithmetical skills are required to finish the program. No calculus or linear algebra or partial differential equations needed!