• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER

Mariana Trench potential?

KevinH

Reaction score
Not sure if this area has ever been mentioned, but it’s something I wonder about. This area is a large subduction zone which are responsible for generating the largest megathrust quakes on record. Does anyone know of the current/future quake potential of this area?
1680469601805.png

KoD

Staff member
Sustaining Member
PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
I'd also be interested in knowing more about this. I have to admit I'm more interested in the biology but the geology is beyond fascinating as well

KevinH

Reaction score
I'd also be interested in knowing more about this. I have to admit I'm more interested in the biology but the geology is beyond fascinating as well
I am not too sure this region has ever produced an earthquake. I am not sure how concerning that should be :oops:

bjdeming

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know of the current/future quake potential of this area?
The only easy fact I found on it is that it's a US national monument.

The only easy answer to your question AFAIK is that it's a subduction zone and therefore has high potential for megathrust earthquakes.

That's true, I think, no matter how deep a subduction trench happens to be.

The tectonics here in the Western Pacific are really messy, though, as a quick look at Google Scholar shows. o_O

Back