• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
  • April 2024 Weather Video of the Month
    Post your nominations now!

Severe Weather Threat 4/25-4/26, 2024 - (Thursday, Friday)

Jacob

Reaction score
Wonder if we’ll see a few quick spin ups as storms run into that boundary.

It is interesting that near Ness City (due north of Dodge City) that it has seemingly stopped progressing SW there. I’d be concerned about storms riding it if any part of it starts to retrograde back north.

Reaction score
Annoyingly far from all the NEXRAD sites (shocker), but the cell SW of Syracuse, KS looks like it might be getting organized. Strong midlevel meso, at least.

jiharris0220

Reaction score
The tornado aspect so far today has fallen flat on its face despite dry line initiation being successful.
Low level jet hasn’t kicked in yet but I don’t think it’s gonna change anything, the LFC is just too elevated.

Despite every parameter being favorable for tornadoes, it simply doesn’t matter if air parcels commit a free accent too high up the atmosphere.

Reaction score
Really liked this post over on stormtrack:

Yet another potentially "insane" daytime event that busted. Us "at home" chasers can now take a deep breath. I don't remember another year in over 36 years of chasing that had so many fails. I can only **guess** some drought-related (EML) element is messing with things or forecasting is retrograding.

Although I would contest the “insane” label. This day had the lowest ceiling of the sequence coming up IMO.

Tanner

Reaction score

Yet another potentially "insane" daytime event that busted. Us "at home" chasers can now take a deep breath. I don't remember another year in over 36 years of chasing that had so many fails. I can only **guess** some drought-related (EML) element is messing with things or forecasting is retrograding.

Although I would contest the “insane” label. This day had the lowest ceiling of the sequence coming up IMO.
Certainly confidence is lower than it ever has been for everyone. I took a week off in May to head out west. Guess it’s my stupid decision.

TheSuckZone

Reaction score

Yeah not sure about insane? What was the ceiling today, like maybe a couple strong tornadoes?

jiharris0220

Reaction score
The SPC made the right call with the extremely small 10%hatched as yet another “just in case” scenario.
These central plains set ups with their high LFC usually end up being nothing more than a “mothership” outbreak.
That hatched 5% upgrade can’t come soon enough as those would be perfect for these highly conditional scenarios.

lake.effect

Reaction score
Personally, I didn't think today had a lot of potential anyway. Since early this week Friday has looked more interesting and of course, we still have Saturday to contend with / be disappointed.

JPWX

Reaction score
I'm here for the comments. Y'all expect way too much.
Fox Tv Popcorn GIF by The Four

jiharris0220

Reaction score
Yeah, the red flag today was elevated convection, doesn’t matter how good the kinematics/instability are, if supercells aren’t able to become surfaced based the only thing you’re getting is some land spouts.

That won’t be a failure mode for tomorrow’s threat in Iowa, although a somewhat messy storm mode will.

Reaction score
I'm here for the comments. Y'all expect way too much.
Fox Tv Popcorn GIF by The Four
Well, I certainly didn’t think today would do anything. I just thought it was an interesting statement. Guy has been an enthusiast just like us, only for 36 years. And was just stating how “weird” this year has been.

buckeye05

Reaction score
For real I have no idea what you guys are on about. It was a conditional isolated strong tornado day with a relatively small window for action that downtrended a bit a bit as it approached. No big shocker here, and we’ve still got an extended period of setups with daily tornado threats to get through, so relax.

Back