• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
  • April 2024 Weather Video of the Month
    Post your nominations now!
Logo 468x120

Significant Tornado Events - Global Edition

TH2002

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
A little over a week ago I added a Mosin-Nagant to my gun collection. Mine was made in 1938 in Izhevsk, Russia (then part of the Soviet Union). But something is missing...

Oh, here we go:

A Guy

Reaction score
It appears to me that the Bureau of Meteorology is no longer cataloguing tornado reports in Australia, with no entries in the severe storms archive since 2019.

buckeye05

Reaction score
It appears to me that the Bureau of Meteorology is no longer cataloguing tornado reports in Australia, with no entries in the severe storms archive since 2019.
That’s a real shame. I noticed they no longer seem interested in rating them either. Why??

A Guy

Reaction score
That’s a real shame. I noticed they no longer seem interested in rating them either. Why??
Dunno. They've never really solicited reports but I wouldn't have though collecting them would pose much budgetary strain. Inspecting and rating would take more, and maybe they just have different priorities.

The lack of surveying and rating is really problematic because there are quite significant events being missed, among them one near Bathurst a couple of years ago that was one of the best looking tornadoes I've ever seen here and news reports said tracked more than 20 km, and a possible one (might have been microbursts) that mowed down a huge number of trees on the Gold Coast last December. Studying these events would help better understand how they occur here, so it's a big miss.

buckeye05

Reaction score
Dunno. They've never really solicited reports but I wouldn't have though collecting them would pose much budgetary strain. Inspecting and rating would take more, and maybe they just have different priorities.

The lack of surveying and rating is really problematic because there are quite significant events being missed, among them one near Bathurst a couple of years ago that was one of the best looking tornadoes I've ever seen here and news reports said tracked more than 20 km, and a possible one (might have been microbursts) that mowed down a huge number of trees on the Gold Coast last December. Studying these events would help better understand how they occur here, so it's a big miss.
I remember both of those! Based on the damage they left behind, I’d say they were strong/significant.

There was also the Armidale tornado, which produced some pretty significant house damage in town, and really impressive tree damage outside of town.

It’s just a real shame they aren’t being properly surveyed, documented, and rated.

A Guy

Reaction score
I remember both of those! Based on the damage they left behind, I’d say they were strong/significant.

There was also the Armidale tornado, which produced some pretty significant house damage in town, and really impressive tree damage outside of town.

It’s just a real shame they aren’t being properly surveyed, documented, and rated.
Well I wouldn't be surprised if the Armidale one would only rate as an F1 on damage.

I'd be careful with tree damage here. In my experience Eucalypts often topple easily. It'd take an expert to see if this is a real pattern and what the factors might be (tree and root structure. tree age, health and isolation, soil conditions and moisture etc). But I would be reticent to say the same patterns that apply in North America would necessarily apply here.

Back